List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1381966

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityNewbold Pacey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWBOLD PACEY

SP25NE NEWBOLD PACEY 1901-1/2/160 Church of St George 05/04/67

GV II*

Church. C11. Rebuilt after fire 1880-2 by JL Pearson. Dressed coursed limestone with ashlar dressings; steeply pitched red old tile roofs with ornamental cresting. PLAN: 2-bay chancel with catslide vestry and organ loft; 3-bay nave with porch in 3-stage saddleback north-west tower and south transept and catslide south aisle. Early English style. Plain cornices; sill courses; windows have hood moulds with roughed-out stops; 3 iron gable crosses. EXTERIOR: chancel has stepped triplet of lancets to east end, with 2 lights with quatrefoil above to vestry; north side has gabled buttress between 3-light windows with lancet tracery; south side has entrance with 3 lights to left, 2 to right; truncated lateral stack to right. Nave north side has 2 3-light windows with lancet tracery. Tower has arch of 2 orders to porch with hood mould continued as sill course; re-set C12 inner doorway of single order with lattice diaper and interlacing to capitals and billet and cable mouldings to hood, mass dial to right; second stage has lancet, and cinquefoils to returns; bell-stage is recessed with sill course, clasping buttresses and corbel table; pairs of louvred bell-openings, and similar openings to gables; weathervane. West end has 4 lancets with sexfoil above; 2-light plate tracery to aisle. Transept has 3-light plate-tracery window; aisle has re-set C12 round-headed doorway with plain arch framed by roll moulding with bases and imposts with cable reeding, plank door with enriched strap hinges; 2 south windows as that to west. INTERIOR: arches have hoods with roughed-out stops. Chancel has waggon roof; 2-light arcade to vestry and organ loft; richly carved reredos: 3 ogival arches with St Michael and St George flanking Christ in Glory, flanking curtains. 2-bay south arcade on quatrefoil pier, with to east a cusped recess and segmental-pointed sedilia recess; chancel arch is richly moulded on triple shafts, with 2 low walls. Nave has arch-braced collars to crown post roof, ashlaring and ogee wind-braces; 2-bay arcade on round piers, with octagonal pier to west of transept arch; transept has east and west arches dying into jambs. FITTINGS: chancel has altar rail on wrought-iron posts and scrolls; hexagonal sanctuary lamp with pendant and brattishing; plain furniture. Nave has polygonal pulpit with moulded stone base and timber panels with blind tracery and deep cornice; timber lectern has eagle on wide base and octagonal shaft; font has octagonal bowl on stop-chamfered square pier with 4 squat free-standing shafts. MEMORIALS: Edward Carew, d.1668, and his infant daughter; re-set marble memorial to north wall with oval recess in good architectural setting has demi-figure with hand on heart, and baby on ledge in front, swan-necked pediment with armorial bearings to centre and sides, funeral helm and crest hang above. Group of re-set tablets to west wall includes William Little, d.1834; Grecian-style wall tablet with relief of Charity. STAINED GLASS: east window by Hardman and Co, panels in decorative setting; glass to west lights dated 1886 and 1890. Aisle has free-standing stove. Wood panel in porch records donation by Incorporated Church Building Society in 1880. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 361-2; Shell Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 133; Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 123).



Listing NGR: SP2989157138

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 123
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 361-2
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guides' in Warwickshire, (1979), 133

National Grid Reference: SP 29891 57138

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 03:29:33.