List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List entry Number: 1381945

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, VILLAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityMoreton Morrell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482310

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MORETON MORRELL

SP3055 VILLAGE STREET, Moreton Morrell 1901-1/11/143 (West side) 05/04/67 Church of The Holy Cross (Formerly Listed as: MORETON MORRELL Church of the Holy Cross)

GV II*

Church. C12; C13 chancel and lower part of tower, the upper part rebuilt 1966; re-roofed c1808; 1895 north vestry and porch. MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, some ashlar to chancel; brick vestry; old tile roofs. PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north vestry, 4-bay nave with north porch and west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel has coped gable and diagonal buttresses; 3-light C14 east window with head corbels re-set from nave roof flanking hood mould; north side has blocked straight-headed opening with splayed jambs and chamfered timber lintel with mason's mitres; vestry has north window with 2 tudor-headed lights; south side has 2 offset buttresses, 2 straight-headed windows, that to east C14, that to west C15 with 3 lights with 4-centred heads. Nave has diagonal east buttresses and gable partly rebuilt in brick; north side has C14 entrance of 2 orders of moulding to plank door with earlier rere arch and C19 timber porch with enriched barge-boards. Entrance is flanked by large early C19 pointed windows with splayed reveals and clear glass. South side has shallow offset buttresses, two C14 moulded pointed window openings with tracery replaced by clear glazing, and blocked entrance with inserted C19 plain pointed window; one buttress has random date: 1717, another has scratch dial. 2-stage tower has large brick diagonal buttresses, string course over lower stage and plain parapet; west window has C15 moulded arch to C19 Y-tracery; north side has re-set C12 round window head; upper stage has C20 plain pointed louvred bell-openings. INTERIOR: C18 plaster to walls; chancel has 3-bay roof with 2 collars to trusses and double purlins; double-chamfered chancel arch with plain moulded caps; nave has 4-bay roof with tie beams below wall heads, ashlaring with shields and king and queen posts with diagonal struts, double purlins; double-chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfer corbelled; C13 piscina to nave south wall has slightly trefoiled opening. FITTINGS: chancel has C19 stalls and altar rail; nave has C19 pulpit incorporating early C17 lozenge panels; C19 font on panelled octagonal shaft; C19 charity boards to nave and tower; painted George III Arms over chancel arch. MONUMENTS: Richard, d.1635, and Mary Murden; wall monument to chancel south wall has twin arched recess with kneeling figures facing across desk, flanking panelled plinths support putti and entablature to broken pediment with angel and 2 armorial bearings, inscribed apron panel with enriched frame and flanking cherubs; Elizabeth Hervey, d.1623 an infant, small inscribed panel with enriched frame; Anne Bagshaw, d.1689, re-set brass. SCULPTURE: plain C12 tympanum resting on south window sill has lintel with horizontal Celtic cross and diapered panel. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 357-8; Shell Guides: Hickman, D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 131; Howell, AF: Guide book to Church of the Holy Cross, Moreton Morrell: 1985-).



Listing NGR: SP3105555612

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Howell, A F , Guide Book to Church of the Holy Cross, Moreton Morrell, (1985)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 357-8
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guide' in Warwickshire, (), 131

National Grid Reference: SP 31055 55612

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 12:09:02.