List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1381924

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, WARWICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityKineton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482289

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINETON

SP3251 WARWICK ROAD, Kineton 1901-1/13/117 (North side) 05/04/67 Church of St Peter

GV II*

Church. Mid C13 to C15 west tower; rest rebuilt 1775 by Sanderson Miller, and remodelled 1877-89 by John Belcher; 1897 organ loft and vestry. MATERIALS: ashlar, and coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings to tower; slate roofs. PLAN: 3-bay chancel with north organ loft and vestry, 3-bay nave with transepts, north aisle and west tower. Sill courses, but moulded sills to north windows; offset and diagonal buttresses; top cornice and parapets with crocketed pinnacles; windows with Perpendicular-style tracery. EXTERIOR: chancel has pierced quatrefoil parapet to south and east, plain to north, gable cross; 5-light east window with 3 relief shields above, 3-light windows to south, 2 similar windows to north side, which has tall gabled organ loft with 4-light north window, and low gabled vestry to east, with 2-light traceried east window, and late C20 addition to north. Nave has crenellated parapet and gable cross; two 3-light south windows; transepts have 3-light north and south windows; north aisle has plain parapet and two 3-light windows. 4-stage tower has offset buttresses and string courses; top cornice with corbel table and angle gargoyles, traceried frieze and C19 open-traceried crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles, rich wrought-iron wind vane dated 17__; west entrance of 3 orders, buried bases, 2-light traceried window above and small light to third stage; clock face and stair turret to south; top 2-light traceried and louvred bell-openings. INTERIOR: C19 roofs on corbelled arched braces; chancel has entrance to vestry with battened door with richly carved head; double-cusped Gothic-style ashlar Creed, Commandment and Lord's Prayer tablets to north and south of altar, and 1805 ashlar charity board; chancel arch has rich continuous moulding; south and west arches to organ loft; nave has 3-bay north arcade with quatrefoil piers and similar south transept arch; tower arch has panelled timber infill and paired doors, gallery above has cusped panels; tower has pointed tunnel vault to passage with transverse arches, and heavy surrounds to pointed north and south entrances. FITTINGS: chancel has mid to late C17 altar table, and reredos with canopy, similar style C19 organ case, and 1905 chancel screen with linenfold panelling, tapering pilasters to openings with scrolly heads, architrave with enriched frieze and open-work cresting with cross; plain stalls; nave has C19 octagonal font and timber pulpit with double-cusped panels; painted C18 Creed, Commandment boards have marbled surrounds, similar Lord's Prayer board to north aisle has cherubs; north aisle also has 1724 painted Royal Arms; small enclosure to north aisle has plank door and large iron grille. MEMORIALS: late C14 recumbent effigy of priest to north transept window recess; many C18 and C19 floor slabs and wall tablets, including to chancel: Charles and Sarah Bentley, d.1727 and 1725, and Diana, d.1743: white and coloured marble wall tablet with Ionic pilasters and side scrolls, broken pediment with Bentley Arms, lower panel with foliate apron with Bentley Arms; Edward Nicholas, d.1745: wall tablet with side scrolls, broken pediment with Nicholas Arms and enriched apron. Good brass tablet to John Venour, surgeon, d.1722, to left of chancel arch, with inscribed Venour Arms, and brass tablet to nave south wall to Rachel Maides, d.1728. STAINED GLASS: good C19 east window; chancel north window of 1898, lower part filled with copper repousse panels, other late C19 and early C20 glass to chancel and transepts. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 326-7).



Listing NGR: SP3357151080

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 326-7

National Grid Reference: SP 33571 51080

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 03:59:31.