List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTH FORECOURT WALL, GATES, PIERS AND NORTH AND SOUTH RETURNS AND COACH HOUSE

List entry Number: 1381805

Location

SOUTH FORECOURT WALL, GATES, PIERS AND NORTH AND SOUTH RETURNS AND COACH HOUSE, CHARLECOTE PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityCharlecote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482169

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARLECOTE

SP2556 CHARLECOTE PARK 1901-1/10/31 South forecourt wall, gates, piers, 18/03/97 north and south returns, and coach house

GV II*

Forecourt walls, gates and piers, with coach house. C16, C18 and C19. For Rev William Lacy. Gates by Nicholas Paris. Brick with ashlar dressings; wrought-iron. Ashlar quoins. Wall and balustrade to the south of the forecourt to Charlecote Park (qv), incorporating gate with gate piers next to the house to west end, with range of lean-to buildings to south side and short north return to the Gatehouse to east end; attached wall running south to laundry on west side of service yard and attached wall to east side of courtyard ending in coach house. The walls mostly C16, the rest dates from the first half of the C19, incorporating 1722 gates to west end. Wall has some exposed blue brick diaper work between plants and round-headed entrance to east end. Paired wrought-iron gates near the west end have brick gate piers with quoins and moulded ashlar plinths and caps with c1600 finials; rich wrought-iron overthrow incorporating monogram: WL for Revd William Lucy and side piers; mounting block to south side of west end. North return has central canted bay and octagonal pier to angle with pepper-pot finial with diapering, the balustrade with pierced rosette panels with paired fluted consoles derived from the Gatehouse. Lean-to range to south side of wall has 7 elliptical arched openings plus large square openings to left, and slate roof; with walled kennel enclosure to east end. Wall to east of courtyard has some C16 brick and stone coping; gateway with ashlar quoins and paired timber gates with postern gate; small elliptical-headed openings to north. East wall has raised section to former C19 structure and has coach house to south end with stone-coped parapet and coped gables with finials; tile roof; 2 coach entrances with Tudor heads and paired plank doors; paired plank gates with plain capped gate piers to east and C20 addition to rear. Property of the National Trust. (The National Trust: Charlecote Park: 1991-: 8).



Listing NGR: SP2598456360

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Charlecote Park - Date: 1991 - Page References: 8

National Grid Reference: SP 25971 56396

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 02:05:29.