List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH FORECOURT WALL WITH TWO GATES AND GATE PIERS AND RETURN TO GATEHOUSE

List entry Number: 1381802

Location

NORTH FORECOURT WALL WITH TWO GATES AND GATE PIERS AND RETURN TO GATEHOUSE, CHARLECOTE PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityCharlecote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARLECOTE

SP2556 CHARLECOTE PARK 1901-1/10/28 North forecourt wall with two gates 18/03/97 and gate piers and return to Gatehouse

GV II*

Garden walls, steps, gates and gate piers. C16, C18 and C19. For Rev William Lacy. Gates by Nicholas Paris. Brick with ashlar dressings; wrought-iron. Ashlar quoins. Wall and balustrade to the north of the forecourt to Charlecote Park (qv), incorporating steps and gate with gate piers to the Cedar Lawn and gate with gate piers next to the house to west end and with short south return to the Gatehouse to east end. Part of west half is probably C16, the rest dates from the first half of the C19, incorporating 1722 gates to west end; the balustrade to north wall is later C19. Ashlar balustrade has moulded coping over pierced rosettes derived from the gatehouse, separated by piers with paired fluted consoles. Central recess has concave walls with ashlar benches flanking steps up to plain paired iron gates to Cedar Lawn; 2 flower urns to each side. In front of the benches stand the 2 lead figures (qv). Paired wrought-iron gates near the west end have brick gate piers with quoins and moulded ashlar plinths and caps with c1600 finials; rich wrought-iron overthrow incorporating monogram: WL for Revd William Lucy and side piers. South return has central canted bay and octagonal pier to angle with pepper-pot finial with diapering. Property of the National Trust. (The National Trust: Charlecote Park: 1991-: 8).







Listing NGR: SP2595156439

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Charlecote Park, (1991), 8

National Grid Reference: SP 25953 56438

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:49:27.