List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAILINGS RUNNING THE LENGTH OF MARINE PARADE

List entry Number: 1381754

Location

RAILINGS RUNNING THE LENGTH OF MARINE PARADE, MARINE PARADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482118

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3203NE MARINE PARADE 577-1/49/478 (South side) Railings running the length of Marine Parade

GV II

Railings running from the top of Duke's Mound at the eastern end of Marine Parade to the main entrance to the Brighton Sea Life Centre at the western end (qv). 1880, and apparently so dated on some piers, though the last digit is consistently indecipherable. Some of the railings have a makers' mark of J Every, Lewes; some may have been made by C Reed and Son of Brighton. Cast-iron and teak. The railings consist typically of sections about 2 metres in length, separated by cast-iron piers with rounded mouldings on the outer edge and a rounded head; each section is divided into 3 panels and the lower part of each panel has diagonal cross-pieces with a roundel at the centre carrying municipal emblems; the upper part of each section has circular upper rail of teak. The railings start at the east end with a squat pier whose faces are decorated with panels, some carrying municipal emblems and the date; elaborate entablature and gadrooned finial. There are short recesses or bays in the line of the railings, facing out to sea, opposite the end of Chichester Place, Percival Terrace, 155 Marine Parade (qv), the end of Portland Place, Crescent Place, 82 Marine Parade (qv), Marine Gardens, the end of Atlingworth Street and the end of Lower Rock Gardens; there are also similar recesses giving onto steps or ramps down to Madeira Drive, with railings of the same design, opposite Paston Place, Royal Crescent, the end of Bedford Street, 63 Marine Parade (qv) and Rock Place. The railings continue round Madeira Lift, but to a lighter and later design, and that design is also used on a set of steps down to the terrace opposite the end of Margaret Street. Opposite Madeira Place the railings are interrupted by the lift to the Brighton Sea Life Centre, and then continue as far as the principal entrance to the Sea Life Centre. (Builder: 23 July 1881).





Listing NGR: TQ3260903588

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 23 July - Date: 1881 - Journal Title: The Builder

National Grid Reference: TQ 32609 03588

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 07:42:16.