List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KENTFIELD BILLIARD ROOMS

List entry Number: 1381705

Location

KENTFIELD BILLIARD ROOMS, 14, 15 AND 16, MANCHESTER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-May-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482068

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3103NW MANCHESTER STREET 577-1/46/424 (East side) 13/05/92 Nos.14, 15 AND 16 Kentfield Billiard Rooms

II

Billiard rooms. 1810-1824. Stucco. Roof obscured by parapet. One storey over basement. The elevation is symmetrical about a broad, round-arched entrance. There is a flat-arched, tripartite window to either side. Greek Revival Style. The entrance has a keystone and a panelled lintel with fanlight above. Its jambs are rebated and given a quarter-round chamfer. The aedicule surrounding the entrance consists of a pair of Tuscan pilasters with incised key panels. An identical pilaster can be found at each party wall. The wall surface running between pilasters and windows is rendered as banded rustication. The windows have a moulded sill band, which has been interrupted on the right by the insertion of a broad entrance of C20 date. Across the top of the elevation runs a broad entablature which sets forward above each pilaster; each of these projecting imposts is ornamented with a single laurel wreath. INTERIOR: not inspected. By 1824 this was one of 4 billiard rooms in Brighton. Between 1920 and 1927 it served as the Brighton Boys' Club. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 60; Baxter: Stranger in Brighton and Directory: Brighton: 1824-).



Listing NGR: TQ3142903986

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Baxter - Title: Stranger in Brighton and Directory - Date: 1824
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Carder, T - Title: Encyclopaedia of Brighton - Date: 1990 - Page References: 60

National Grid Reference: TQ 31429 03986

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 04:40:58.