List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MADEIRA TERRACE AND MADEIRA WALK AND LIFT TOWER AND RELATED BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1381696

Location

MADEIRA TERRACE AND MADEIRA WALK AND LIFT TOWER AND RELATED BUILDINGS, MADEIRA DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482059

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3103NE MADEIRA DRIVE 577-1/47/409 (North side) 20/08/71 Madeira Terrace, Madeira Walk, Lift Tower and related buildings (Formerly Listed as: MADEIRA DRIVE The Covered Walk with the Waitingrooms or Cafe (Madeira Hall) & Lift above)

II

Arcade with raised walkway, associated buildings and lift tower. Built between 1890 and 1897 by the borough surveyor, Philip C Lockwood. Cast-iron and brick in English bond. PLAN: complex is 2,837 feet long, from the Colonnade, Madeira Drive (qv) to Duke's Mound; 25 feet wide for most of its length; at a point south of Marine Square, the terrace is interrupted by a single-storey structure with a 25-window range, designed as a cafe and waiting room, from the centre of which rises the 3-stage lift tower to Marine Parade. EXTERIOR: each bay of the entirely cast-iron arcade has an identical elevation: round arches carried on single columns of a fanciful marine order; scalloped-arch intrados; spandrels formed by concentric rings of quatrefoils, forming a pierced sun screen; keystone cast to resemble either a female or a bearded male deity, perhaps Venus and Neptune; orthostats support entablature topped by balustrade which encloses the raised terrace walk; the latter supported by cast-iron trusses fixed to sea wall facing of East Cliff; shallow, segmental vaults span trusses. The single-storey structure at the centre of the arcade has an 11-window range centre bay which projects forward one bay in depth. All window range elevations of this structure identical: columns on panelled socle chamfer to bell capital, from which rises a bracket support for concave metal roof; lower spandrel of each window of brick in English bond; one round-arched window with original glazing bars forming a pattern in the head; window spandrels of cast-iron tracery to match roof brackets. Lift entered from this structure; the tower emerges on the terrace above and rises in 3 stages to Marine Parade. Exit on the terrace stage, not in use at time of writing, faces south; upper level exit faces north. The tower shaft is square in plan, brick in English bond, with octagonal corner pilasters. The lower, south-facing exit (not in use at the time of writing) is set under a porch supported on cast-iron Composite columns; pierced cast-iron bracket to each column supports shallow concave metal roof which in turn supports a light register roof, also of metal. One slender, round-arched window in each tower return. The entablature of the lower brick stages supports a square platform with railed walkway on 3 sides; these railings are extensions of the railings along Marine Parade (qv). The Marine Parade stage of the lift tower is square in plan, with octagonal corner piers, strutting out from each of which are pairs of thin colonnettes and a concave metal roof with broad eaves; the lower roof is topped by a convex mansard covered in metal, fish scale tiles; at each corner of the lower roof is a dragon; the cap of the structure is highly ornamented and supports a weather vane consisting of a globe by dolphins. The infill walls of this structure and roof soffits are of wood and glazed; the armature and detailing is all of metal, much of it cast-iron. Throughout the complex stairs along the sea wall connect the terrace and covered walkway; there are stairs between the terrace level and Marine Parade and linking the structure with the Colonnade to the west. At the west end of the long complex, the arcading is filled in with brick in English bond relieved by blue brick diapering; the spaces enclosed form storage areas and public conveniences. At either end of the terrace are long, arcaded ramps. HISTORICAL NOTE: the complex was added under the terms of the Brighton Improvement Act of 1884; the terrace was open to the east of the Royal Crescent (qv) by 1890, when controversy prevented its completion to the west. In 1927-29 it was extended to the east by the Colonnade, Madeira Drive (qv) which linked the original terrace with the Aquarium Sun Terrace just then completed. (Carder, Timothy: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 95B).



Listing NGR: TQ3184603797

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31846 03797

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 12:28:28.