List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1381674

Location

6, LITTLE EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482037

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3103NW LITTLE EAST STREET 577-1/46/390 (East side) 13/10/52 No.6 (Formerly Listed as: LITTLE EAST STREET No.6 Andrew's Cottage)

II

Originally 2 shops. Late C18 or early C19, combined in 1845. Stucco scored to imitate ashlaring. Roof of tile. 2 storeys over basement. Each unit has one window-range. The ground floor is taken up by 2 early shop fronts, that on the right being slightly narrower than that on the left. Each front consists of a segmental bay window, to the right of which is a flat-arched entrance. Each entrance topped by an entablature with a broad, projecting cornice supported by a pair of console brackets. Entablature with modillioned cornice runs across the top of both fronts; the cornice terminates at the left in a console bracket stop. Flat-arched windows to first floor. Guttered eaves. Stack to left party wall. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: in the early C19 the left hand unit was home to a stationer's shop and the right to an ironmongery and hardware store. In 1845 the whole building became a fishing tackle shop run by Samuel Andrew, whose family ran the business until the Second World War. Commonly known as "Andrew's Cottage" it became a tailor's shop before becoming a cafe-restaurant with a music licence. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 115L).







Listing NGR: TQ3113603942

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 115L

National Grid Reference: TQ 31136 03942

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 04:44:17.