List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WOODVALE CREMATORIUM

List entry Number: 1381673

Location

WOODVALE CREMATORIUM, LEWES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482036

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3205NE LEWES ROAD 577-1/24/389 (East side) Woodvale Crematorium

II

Cemetery chapels (to former Lewes Road cemetery), now crematorium. 1857 with crematorium of 1930. Flint with sandstone dressings, roofs of slate. North (Anglican) and south (Nonconformist) chapels either side of a tower and spire; in front of the tower, a gabled carriage arch under which the hearses passed, emerging on the far side of the tower. EXTERIOR: the carriage arch is pointed, moulded and sub-ordered with an ogee dripmould leading up to a decorated corbel carrying the figure of an angel in the gable; the arch is now closed by a scheme of memorial tablets. Either side of the arch is a single-storey linking wing with a window with intersecting tracery and quatrefoil panelling to the parapet. Tower of 3 stages with corner buttresses and belfry carried up into gabled lucarnes, broach spire, with corner pinnacles now simplified. The 2 chapels are of identical design, presenting gables to east and west: low angle buttresses; east and west windows with geometrical tracery, quatrefoil window to gable; the north and south sides have pointed-arched entrances in buttressed and gabled porches, and 2-light, pointed-arched windows with geometrical tracery to either side. At the south-east corner, the single-storey crematorium with octagonal chimney, all detailed in flint and sandstone. The crematorium was the first in Sussex. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3285205616

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Carder, T - Title: Encyclopaedia of Brighton - Date: 1990

National Grid Reference: TQ 32852 05616

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:12:37.