List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1381663



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3205NW LEWES ROAD 577-1/23/379 (East side) Brighton Extra Mural Cemetery: Collingwood, Robertson & another tomb


3 tombs approx 30 metres west of the cemetery chapel (qv). 1: John Collingwood, 1796-1861. By W Burnett. Dressed Portland stone, polished granite and scagliola. In the form of a Gothic tabernacle. The base is square in plan with 2 offsets and 2 recessed quatrefoils to each side inset with scagliola shields; octagonal canopy with pointed arches to the cardinal points having an inner order to the outside and the inside, lower arches to the diagonal faces, and lower arches also flanking the taller ones so as to carry the lower part of the canopy out to the corners of the base where they have squat columns of polished granite shared with the arch on the return; cross-gables above, the spandrels filled with quatrefoil decoration, flanked by pinnacles and gargoyles; the motif of the canopy is roughly and more simply repeated in a stone lantern at the apex. 2: Frederick William Robertson, 1816-1853. Stone, in the form of an Egyptian pylon. The principal inscription faces east, with a bronze plaque above depicting Robertson preaching, modelled in low relief and inscribed 'WE THEN AS AMBASSADORS OF CHRIST'; on the west side is a roundel of the same sort showing Robertson preaching to working men, and subscribed by members of the Mechanics' Institution; both plaque and roundel by Wyon; Horus symbol in the frieze. Robertson had a national reputation as a radical preacher at Holy Trinity Church, Ship Street (qv). 3: A third tomb, with indecipherable inscription. Granite. Greek Revival in style. Rectangular in plan; the lower part resembles a mausoleum with heavily battered sides; the south face is treated as a door decorated with incised double rectangles and an unmoulded canopy above; the upper part resembles a table tomb, the sloping and simply moulded sides interrupted on the east, south and west sides by panels, that to the south being inscribed, and the top consisting of a simple gabled and overhanging slab; decorative ironwork has been removed from the south gable. (Dale A: Brighton Cemeteries: Brighton: 1991-).

Listing NGR: TQ3242005840

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Dale, A - Title: Brighton Cemeteries - Date: 1991

National Grid Reference: TQ 32420 05840


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:30:51.