List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1-24 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1381607

Location

NUMBERS 1-24 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-24, HANOVER CRESCENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481969

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3105SE HANOVER CRESCENT 577-1/28/335 (East side) 13/10/52 Nos.1-24 (Consecutive) and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: HANOVER CRESCENT Nos 1-24 (consec), North Lodge. South Lodge)

GV II

Terraced houses. c1822. By Amon Henry Wilds, for Henry Brooker. Stucco, roofs of slate apart from No.6 which is of tiles. The houses are arranged in 8 blocks, each of 3 houses, apart from a block of 2 (Nos 16-17), and a block of 4 (Nos 21-24); the blocks were always of more or less different design, and almost all have been considerably altered, so it is simplest to describe each block separately. EXTERIOR: Nos 1-3. 2 storeys over basement, No.1 and 2 with attics. Nos 1 and 3 of 2 windows each, No.2 of 3. 3-bay centrepiece (No.2) with pilasters having scrolled capitals supporting entablature and pediment; Nos 1 and 3 have one window either side of the centrepiece and an outer, entrance bay set back, though the entrance bay on No.1 has been brought forward. No.1 has a flat-arched entrance with wooden, fluted doorcase with sidelights and overlight, set back behind a round arch carried on fluted pilasters with palm-leaf capitals, which is in turn set back behind a bracketed flat arch; No.2 has a round-arched entrance with decorative glazing to fanlight and panelled door with Gothic detail, framed by fluted pilasters and moulded archivolt; No.3 has a round-arched entrance with decorative glazing to fanlight. All windows flat-arched, those to the ground floor having bracketed balconies with cast-iron railings; No.1 has a blank window over the entrance and a bracketed balcony with cast-iron railings to main front; No.3 has a similar bracketed balcony though with different railings to a shallow segmental bay at first-floor level; circular window in attic to No.2; boxed eaves to main front, parapet to outer bays, that to No.1 surmounted by a couchant lion; hipped roofs; dormer to No.1; stacks to party walls; cast-iron railings to steps of No.2. Nos 4-6. 2 storeys over basement, No.5 with attic; Nos 4 and 6 with 2 windows each, No.5 with 3. 3-bay centrepiece (No.5) with Corinthian pilasters, entablature and pediment; Nos 4 and 6 have one window either side of the centrepiece, and an outer, entrance bay set back. Round-arched entrances, that to No.4 having Greek key pattern to cornice, to No.5 with decorative glazing to fanlight, panelled door of original design, and moulded archivolt, and to No.6 with Greek key pattern to cornice and panelled door of original design. Quoins to main block. All windows flat-arched, those to outer bays of main front set back under an elliptical arch with bracketed archivolt; first-floor windows to No.5 and inner bay of No.4 with individual bracketed balconies with cast-iron railings; dentil cornice to entablature and pediment of No.5 and patera to tympanum; boxed eaves to main front, parapet to entrance bays, that to No.6 having a curved parapet to ground floor and the first floor set back; hipped roof; 3 pedimented dormers to No.5 between cornice stacks; cast-iron railings to steps of No.5. Nos 7-9. Nos 8-9 are now one house. 2 storeys over basement with attics, 3 windows each. 3-bay centrepiece (No.8) with fluted pilasters, entablature and parapet; Nos 7 and 9 consist of segmental bays of 2 windows each on either side of the centrepiece with outer entrance bays set back, though that to No.9 has been brought forward and the entrance altered to a window. Round-arched entrance to No.7 with Greek key pattern to cornice, decorative glazing to fanlight, and panelled door of original design with the upper panel now glazed; entrance to No.8 now altered with late C20 porch. Quoins to main front. All windows flat-arched, those to ground floor of Nos 8-9 with bracketed balcony with cast-iron railings, those to first floor of No.8 with individual bracketed balconies with cast-iron railings; boxed eaves; C20 dormers to Nos 8-9; stacks to party walls; cast-iron railings to steps of No.8. Nos 10-12. 2 storeys over basement, Nos 10 and 12 with 2 windows each, No.11 with 3. 3-bay centrepiece (no 11) with fluted Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature and pediment; Nos 10 and 12 consist of one bay in main front either side of centrepiece and an outer, entrance bay probably originally of one storey only. Nos 10 and 12 have round-arched entrances set back under a round-arched porch with decorative glazing to fanlights; No.11 has a flat-arched entrance with overlight and panelled door of original design. All windows flat-arched; those to No.11 have slim architraves; continuous bracketed balconies with cast-iron railings to ground floor; the entablature covers the whole of the main front, with a parapet over Nos 10 and 12; hipped roof; stacks to party walls; cast-iron railings to steps on Nos 10 and 11. INTERIOR: not inspected. A plaque over the entrance of No.11 records that Sir Rowland Hill lived there from 1844 to 1846; Hill was chairman of the London and Brighton Railway Company from 1843; the novelist Horace Smith lived at No.10 from 1826 to 1840. This block and Nos 18-20 are the least altered in Hanover Crescent. Nos 13-15. 2 storeys over basement, No.14 with attic; Nos 13-14 of windows, No.15 of 2. The main front broadly resembles Nos 7-9. 3-bay centrepiece (No.12) with fluted pilasters having ammonite capitals; Nos 13 and 15 have shallow segmental bays of 2 windows each in the main front with single-storey, outer, entrance bays set back, though that to No.13 is now of 2 storeys and has been brought forward. No.13 has round-arched entrance with decorative glazing to fanlight and panelled door of original design; No.14 has flat-arched entrance with decorative glazing to overlight; No.15 has round-arched entrance with fanlight. Quoins to main front. All windows flat-arched, those to first floor of No.13 having a continuous bracketed balcony with cast-iron railings; No.15 has individual replacement balconies; boxed eaves; hipped roof; No.14 has a dormer between stacks to party walls. Nos 16-17. 2 storeys over half-basement, No.16 with 2 windows, No.17 one. The original design probably consisted of a main front with 2 windows framed by pilasters with abaci carrying a shallow segmental arch over each window, and a single-storey, outer, entrance bay set back; the entrance bay of No.16 is now of 2 storeys, that of No.17 remains of one storey with a stepped blocking course surmounted by a couchant lion; flat-arched entrance with overlight to No.16, round-arched entrance with fanlight and Greek key pattern to cornice to No.17; 2-storey segmental bay to No.16, single-storey segmental bay with cornice to No.17; all windows flat-arched; boxed eaves; hipped roof; stack to party wall. Nos 18-20. 2 storeys over half-basement, No.19 with attic. No.18 with 2 windows, No.19 with 3 and No.20 with one. 3-bay centrepiece (No.19) with fluted pilasters having ammonite capitals supporting a rudimentary entablature and pediment; Nos 18 and 20 consist of one window in the main front either side of the centrepiece and a single-storey, outer, entrance bay set back, though that to No.18 is now of 2 storeys. Quoins to main front; all windows flat-arched, those to ground floor of Nos 19 and 20 having blind boxes and bracketed balconies with cast-iron railings; flat-arched window in tympanum of pediment; hipped roof; stacks to party walls. This block, like Nos 10-12, is less altered than the rest. Nos 21-24. 2 storeys over half-basement. Nos 21 with 2 windows, the rest with 3. Nos 21-23 form a symmetrical group with a pediment to No.22 and segmental bays to Nos 21 and 23. Round-arched entrances except to No.24 which is flat-arched; that to No.21 with decorative glazing to fanlight and reeded cornice; the porches of Nos 23 and 24 considerably altered. No.21 has sashes of original design; No.22 has a blank window to first floor and patera in the pediment; No.24 has quoins, and a full-height segmental bay with individual bracketed balconies with cast-iron railings to ground floor; substantial additions to rear of No.24; boxed eaves; stacks to party walls. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).



Listing NGR: TQ3174105130

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31741 05130

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 05:56:54.