List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EASTERN PART OF DEBENHAMS STORE AND ATTACHED WALL

List entry Number: 1381101

Location

1, 2 AND 3, WESTERN TERRACE
EASTERN PART OF DEBENHAMS STORE AND ATTACHED WALL, 95 AND 96, WESTERN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481446

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004SW WESTERN ROAD 577-1/38/968 (South side) 13/10/52 Nos.95 AND 96 Eastern part of Debenham's store and attached wall (Formerly Listed as: WESTERN ROAD Nos.95 AND 96 Plummers)

GV II

Formerly known as: Priory Lodge WESTERN ROAD. Formerly known as: The Gothic House WESTERN ROAD. Includes: Nos.1, 2 AND 3 WESTERN TERRACE. House, now eastern part of Debenham's store. 1822-25. By Amon Wilds and Charles Augustus Busby. Stucco, roofs of slate. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys, 6-window range to Western Road. The building is most easily understood in 3 parts. (1) The original front to Western Road: C20 shop front to ground floor; above that an octagonal tower with offset buttresses terminating in pinnacles; on the first floor of the tower, pointed-arched windows glazed as 2 lancets under hoodmoulds with heads as stops to north and north-west faces; frieze of shields as storey band; above there are segmental-pointed-arched windows with hoodmoulds and heads as stops, those to the north and north-east faces blind, north-west window glazed as 2 cusped lancets; embattled parapet between pinnacles, with blind lancets and quatrefoils; then a single-window bay to right with similar windows, storey band continuing and roll-moulding to parapet; then, coming forward, another single-window bay flanked by octagonal piers with blind arcading, first-floor window C20, storey band continuing, second- floor window as on the tower but with no head as stop, low gable with roll-moulding; finally a single-window bay added in 1880 with canted bay to first floor, springing band, sill band to second-floor window which is flat with a hoodmould and glazing probably altered. (2) The fronts of the original building in Western Terrace, so far as visible: early C20 shop detailing to ground floor; octagonal pier to south-east corner, terminating in an embattled pinnacle above the original parapet; 5-sided bay to first floor, probably of C20 date under a gable decorated with squared quatrefoils; to right of that a canted bay probably 3 sides of a former tower with lancet windows to first floor with hoodmoulds and head stops, the whole bay glazed to the second floor; there are also visible, above the early C20 extension (3), a gable decorated as at the south end, and the remains of an octagonal pier decorated with blind arcading. (3) A 2-storey shop extension at the corner of Western Road and Western Terrace, effectively blocking the corner of the original buildings: early C20 in date, with late C20 shop front to Western Road and front part of Western Terrace; former continuously-glazed restaurant to first floor in Western Road with flattened bow window to centre; frieze lettered 'RESTAURANT' carried round the bow; stepped and balustraded parapet; the southern part of this extension in Western Terrace has an entrance, now a window, under a shell-moulded canopy; to the left a partly blind segmental arcade of 3 bays between rusticated pilasters with lugged panels to the lower part and flat-arched windows above; first floor has 3 flat-arched windows under an entablature and balustraded parapet; south front similarly detailed but now much altered. INTERIOR: not inspected. Wall to south end in Western Terrace with segmental-arched gateway under console to north and 2 gateways to south, one flat and late C20 in date the other 4-centred with splayed jambs.



Listing NGR: TQ3024504416

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30245 04416

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 04:17:48.