List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PELHAM INSTITUTE

List entry Number: 1381050

Location

PELHAM INSTITUTE, UPPER BEDFORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481395

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3203NW UPPER BEDFORD STREET 577-1/48/919 (East side) 23/06/94 Pelham Institute

II

Working men's club, now store. Plans by the Brighton architect, Thomas Lainson, dated 25 August, 1876; built in 1877 for Archdeacon Hannah. Purplish brick in English bond with red brick and terracotta dressings; tile hanging to peaks of gables and one dormer; roofs of tile, all gable facing except for the half dormer to Upper Bedford Street, which is hipped. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and dormers over basement. Rectangular in plan with 3 elevations: the principal to Upper Bedford Street has a 4-window range; a 3-window range to Montague Street; scattered fenestration to St George's Terrace. High Victorian Gothic style. Upper Bedford Street elevation: segmental, pointed arch entrance set in gabled, segmental, pointed-arch aedicule supported by plain brick corbels; original plank doors with that to the left with original wrought-iron hinges. Doors to left return and all glazing bars of original design. All openings flat arched unless stated otherwise. 2, right-hand window ranges treated as gabled bay, with stepped chimneybreast projecting from second floor and stack to peak of gable; a pair of narrow lights to either side of entrance; above a pair of windows under pointed-arch tympanum; to second floor under gable 3 pairs of 2-light windows, that in the centre set in a pointed-arch recess in the centre of the chimneybreast. In left-hand section at the corner what appears to have been a shop front of original design; a broad, 4-light window to the right. Ground-floor windows connected by springing band-hood moulding; storey band of ornamental brickwork between ground and first floors; springing band to first-floor windows; sill band to all second-floor windows. These mouldings continuous to both returns. The left-hand section terminates in a dormer with truncated gable, under which are 6 second-floor lights about a white stone plaque set in a pointed-arched aedicule. Another white-stone plaque above the entrance. The left return has a segmental-arched, ground-floor window near the corner and a pointed-arched entrance; to the rear a loading bay with wood door; first-floor windows identical to those already described; second-floor windows in first- and third-ranges are set in a pointed-arch recess; between is a pair of narrow lancets topped by a plaque set in a pointed aedicule; stack in outer wall emerges from halfway up the gable; another stack to left party wall. The right return is very asymmetrical: segmental-arched, ground-floor window near corner, to right a 7-light window; window at corner lighting stair well interrupts storey band between ground and first floors; to the right on first floor a window composed of 3 narrow lights under one pointed-arch tympanum; to the left a chimneybreast projects from the wall, supported by a blind pointed arch; small window in the middle of the chimneybreast between the first and second floors; tall window near the corner on the second floor, with pointed-arch tympanum, ending in gable which projects above eaves; to the right of the chimneybreast, which also projects above the eaves, are 3 narrow lights in a barely articulated dormer. Plinth of one brick's thickness at foot of all walls. The sills to all ground- and first-floor windows are splayed and faced in terracotta. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: built on the site of the Zion Chapel of 1829, contemporary sources report that the Pelham Institute was "erected for the benefit of the working people of East Brighton... in where [sic] working men may find refreshments, recreation, social intercourse and the opportunity of carrying on without being exposed to the manifold temptations of the public house". The style as much as the fact that its President was Archdeacon Hannah identify the building as an Anglican slum mission. The ground floor contained general-purpose rooms: reading room, kitchen and non-alcoholic bar, games and smoking rooms; there was a lecture and mission room on the first floor. The second floor contained bedrooms which were let to single men for 1/- per night or 3/6d per week. The plans identify the structure as a "Workmen's Club"; after 1879 street directories refer to it as the Pelham Institute. Among the plans preserved in the Registry Office at Lewes (Ref. No.DB/D7/1377) is an alternative design of the same date by the same architect; this plan called for a building in the French Second Empire Style. The building is owned by the Borough Council and let to the Mid-Sussex Judo Club, which uses it as a storage facility.





Listing NGR: TQ3208803942

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32088 03942

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:49:42.