List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GRAND CINEMA

List entry Number: 1381005

Location

THE GRAND CINEMA, YORK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireRibble ValleyDistrict AuthorityClitheroe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Aug-2000

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481348

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLITHEROE

SD7441 YORK ROAD 713/1/10003 (Southeast side) 04-AUG-2000 The Grand Cinema

GV II

Civic hall, now cinema. 1873-4 as the Clitheroe Public Hall, converted to the Grand Kinema in 1921. Irregularly coursed stone walling with ashlar dressings; slate roof with crestings. The hall is sideways to the road, with small symmetrical entrance block containing manager's office and ladies' lavatory as well as foyer. Higher, single storey hall, with stage to right and projection suite up stairs to left.

Front range with central gable over doorway with engaged columns, double doors and top light between deeply moulded Gothic pointed arch. Impost bands unite this composition with the windows to either side, terminating as hood moulds with ball stops over square casement windows. Similar windows with hood moulds on the side return, and simpler square casements to the hall.

Interior. Narrow foyer with terrazzo floor and paybox leads directly into hall. Auditorium with shallow rake holds nearly 400 people, with stage at one end and projection suite up stairs at the other. Open timber truss roof with hammerbeams set on wall brackets and wrought-iron tie bars. The walls lined in timber panelling. Gas secondary lighting on wall brackets. Brass pendant lights add to the sensation of mock-Tudor pastiche.

Included as a fine, early example of a public hall that has been given added interest by its conversion to a cinema.

Listing NGR: SD7453541998

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 74535 41998

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 09:51:47.