List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COURT HOUSE AND NUMBERS 1 AND 2 COURT HOUSE CLOSE

List entry Number: 1381003

Location

COURT HOUSE AND NUMBERS 1 AND 2 COURT HOUSE CLOSE, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary AuthorityRottingdean

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3602NE THE GREEN, Rottingdean 577-1/60/1074 (North side) 13/10/52 Court House and Nos.1 and 2 Court House Close

GV II*

Court House reads as a single house, though abutted by Court House Close. C18. Dressed flints on a base of cobbles, stucco, roof of tiles. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5-window range, double-fronted. Central porch with chamfered columns and spreading cap supporting entablature consisting principally of a band of bolection-moulded brackets to the frieze; panelled doorcase with flat-arched entrance, fanlight with intersecting tracery and panelled door of original design; brick quoins to right-hand side and ground floor of left-hand side, rendered to first floor on the left; all windows flat-arched with plain stuccoed architraves and a minimal cornice over the ground-floor windows; moulded eaves cornice; end stacks of red brick. Court House was formerly the farmhouse of Court House Farm. No.1 Court House Close is a lower wing on the east side of Court House: rendered, roof of tiles; 2 storeys and one-window range with sashes of original design. No.2 Court House Close is a building attached at the rear to Court House: painted cobbles with brick dressings, roof of tiles; 2 storeys, one-window range to The Green; segmental-arched openings much renewed; a single-storey gabled wing comes forward to the road, now a garage. INTERIOR: not inspected.







Listing NGR: TQ3681102675

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 36811 02675

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 01:05:46.