List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOCK TOWER IN PRESTON PARK

List entry Number: 1380948

Location

CLOCK TOWER IN PRESTON PARK, STANFORD AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481272

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3006 STANFORD AVENUE 577-1/12/867 (North side) Clock tower in Preston Park

II

Clock tower. Dated 1891 on the foundation stone to the west, and 1892 on an inscription to the south. Designed by FJC May for the Recreation Committee of Brighton Borough Council. Paid for by Councillor Edward White. Built by F Patching and Son. Red and buff terracotta, brick and stone, granite, copper, tiles. The tower is alternately square and octagonal in plan, and rests on a plinth of granite steps. The first stage is square, with a battered base of buff terracotta and aedicules to either side formed of columns of buff terracotta carrying an entablature with stone frieze and open pediment of red terracotta; date 1891 in a cartouche to the tympanum. Within each aedicule, a round-arched niche, the architrave having a Gibbs surround, heads to keystones and a polished granite panel below, except on the east side which has a flat-arched entrance, the door having ornate wrought-iron hinges, with a shell-niche above. The upper part has a reverse squinch at the corners in the form of consoles, making the transition to the second stage which has a red terracotta frieze of festoons, long sides to the cardinal directions with 3-light, segmental-arched blank tracery and a cartouche below flanked by seated putti; then a frieze of blank ogee tracery; then a third, clock stage with clocks on each face with a circular moulding and heraldic griffins to the lower corners holding shields with the initials EW, and festoons and pediment above; flanking the clock faces are corbelled, octagonal, panelled, domed pinnacles, perhaps incomplete; the 4th, octagonal, lantern stage is in timber with deep bracketed eaves to domed octagonal roof topped by a dated weather-vane.





Listing NGR: TQ3071906195

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30719 06195

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 01:02:37.