List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List entry Number: 1380934

Location

FORMER HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, SHIP STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481258

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004SE SHIP STREET 577-1/39/845 (West side) 02/03/81 Former Holy Trinity Church (Formerly Listed as: SHIP STREET Holy Trinity Church)

GV II

Nonconformist chapel. 1817. To the designs of Amon Wilds for Thomas Read Kemp. (All directions are ritual.) The chapel was consecrated as an Anglican chapel of ease in 1826 and considerably lengthened at that time; chancel added 1869 in place of former vestry; interior alterations and south front carried out in 1885-7 to the designs of George Somers Clarke junior and John Thomas Micklethwaite, the latter dated 1886 on the fleche. Stucco, knapped flint with stone dressings; roof obscured by parapet. The front to Ship Street is Gothic in style and executed in flint and stone. EXTERIOR: a single-storey narthex extends across most of the west front from the north, with 3 pointed-arched entrances with scroll- and roll-mouldings, the 2 northernmost set in architraves of pinnacled shafts and ogee hoodmould with crockets; chamfered corner; parapet of chequerwork. The upper part of this front is symmetrical: 3 pointed-arched 2-light windows separated by buttresses, the centre window taller and under a pointed arch slung between the buttresses; low window to either side with chequerwork parapets; to the centre, the parapet steps up to first stage of the tower which converts, with splayed corners, from square to octagon; the octagon has pointed-arched windows in each face, each with 2 lights and one transom; embattled openwork parapet; fleche. The return in Duke Street is faced with stucco for the most part, broadly symmetrical, but now altered: 2 storeys, 9- or 10-window range, and all but the 2 westernmost windows now blank, the easternmost partly cut off by the 1885-7 work. The front originally read as 2 slightly projecting sections of 3-window range with 2 windows between them and one at either end, the openings being grouped under a 2-storey, round-arched arcade. Ground floor decorated with banded rustication; 2 pointed-arched entrances of stone inserted and one late C20 flat-arched entrance to the central bay; the windows in the projecting bays are linked by a springing band and archivolts; cornice; panelled frieze; parapet, stepped up, with additional cornice and blocking course, over the projecting bays. A plaque on the west front records the fact that, between 1847 and 1853, the church was made famous by the radical preaching of the Rev. Frederick W Robertson. INTERIOR: chancel of one bay with 5-light east window, and a pair of north and south windows, all round-arched; chancel floor raised 3 steps above the nave; oak panelling to chancel of 1924, stepped forward to form a reredos. Round chancel arch supporting by corbelled shafts. Nave of 8 bays, rectangular in plan with galleries on 3 sides, the 2 easternmost bays narrower than the rest; the galleries carried on columns, probably dating from l869, in a variation of the Composite order, blending Renaissance, Gothic and neo-Grec details; the gallery fronts have raised and fielded panels and are perhaps original. Upper tier of gallery columns support the roof, with cinquefoil, triple lights at this level, in the form of a clerestory. Chancel roof panelled, boarded and barrel-vaulted; nave roof of oak, dating from 1885-7, composed of 8 braced and strutted collar beams; each collar beam supports a strutted king post; the webbing left between the braces and struts is filled by pairs of turned balusters; the ceiling area between the struts is boarded and panelled; the 2 easternmost ceiling bays have a slightly lower pitch; metal ventilating grilles to the central section of the roof. Rooms to 2 floors on either side of chancel. Rooms flanking the nave entered through 4-centred arches from nave and round arches from gallery. Narrow narthex to west end with sliding doors. Late C19 wooden pulpit; baptistery at west end formed from 2 thick and closely-spaced tower buttresses, with late C19 stone font; one mid-to-late C19 gas standard survives attached to north gallery. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).







Listing NGR: TQ3096204225

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30962 04225

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 02:36:43.