List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST LUKES SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1380894

Location

ST LUKES SCHOOL, ST LUKES TERRACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481218

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3204NW ST LUKE'S TERRACE 577-1/35/1126 (South West side) 04/01/95 St Luke's School

II

Board school. 1900-1903. Designed by Thomas Simpson. Red and brown brick in stretcher bond combined in contrasting bands and patterns, sometimes alternating with stone courses; stone and rubbed brick dressings and ornament. Roofs of tile; bell towers of lead and timber. The school has a roughly T-shaped plan, articulated further as a series of tall blocks. Most of these have 2 storeys; the elevation becomes 3 storeys to the fall of the hillside to the south-west. The architect has combined a variety of materials and ornamental devices in a manner generally referred to as Arts and Crafts Free style. The following description will detail only some of the most prominent and noteworthy features. EXTERIOR: in the leg of the "T", dominating the entrance elevation is a tall, 2-storey block with an assembly hall for the infants' school on the ground floor and a larger one for the upper school above. The end wall of this block has a flat-arched window to the ground floor and a keyed, round-arched window above; the window range is framed by shallow brick piers, forming, effectively, a 2 storey aedicule topped by a segmental pediment filled with floral ornament and the Borough crest on a cartouche. The 3-window range returns have full-height brick pilasters; there are segmental-arched, ground-floor windows and flat-arched above. There is a continuous stone entablature with high brick parapet running around this block. The roof is hipped. In the angles formed between this block and the main lateral block is one flat-arched entrance each; these are framed by a stone aedicule consisting of a shouldered architrave, shallow porch and segmental overlight. In the lintel above each are metal letters in a stylized early C20 script derived from late antique inscriptions. Each entrance is set in the base of a full-height stair tower of 3 stages: in the second stage a round-arched and keyed window; to the top stage an elliptical keyed window with spandrels ornamented with cut and rubbed brick in the form of floral swags. The top of each stair tower projects above the main roof and has corner piers; each stair-tower face terminates in a gablet. Each tower has an 8-sided, lead-covered cupola/bell cote. Abutting the left stair tower, there is, in addition, a 3 storey turret. The entablature of the main block continues across the arms of the "T", terminating abruptly at the return of the arms. The side elevations have a more relaxed and informal composition than the main block and stair towers. On the ground floor of the left wing are floor-to-ceiling windows, with coupled lights above each. To the right this window arrangement is reversed. There are corner stacks set in the hipped main roof. Attached to the right arm is a 3-and-a-half storey gabled wing with segmental- and flat-arched windows. At the foot of this is a single-storey class room building. The rear elevation has a 12-window range, the windows grouped into 3s, the centre broader than the sides. Each tripartite arrangement articulated as a gabled bay. Each gable has a small double light. In its lower reaches this elevation is faced with stucco scored to imitate ashlaring; the heads of the top-floor windows and gables above are of brick. To the right of this group of 4 gables is 3-storey tower block, set back from the wall of the rear elevation, yet finished in a gable whose scale and shape matches the others in this elevation. INTERIOR: the lower parts of the walls are faced with greenish-blue glazed tile. The upper school assembly hall has a open timber roof of 4 bays supported by arched collar beams; its upper reaches are now ceiled. Opposite the end wall is a gallery; painted on the end wall itself is a mural, probably dating to after 1918, which depicts large-scale figures representing local and historical types.







Listing NGR: TQ3240304736

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32403 04736

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 12:59:45.