List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOCK TOWER 30 METRES WEST OF NUMBER 15 EAST DRIVE (NUMBER 15 EAST DRIVE NOT INCLUDED)

List entry Number: 1380777

Location

CLOCK TOWER 30 METRES WEST OF NUMBER 15 EAST DRIVE (NUMBER 15 EAST DRIVE NOT INCLUDED), QUEENS PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481101

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3204SW QUEEN'S PARK 577-1/42/711 Clock Tower, 30 metres west of No.15 East Drive (No.15 East Drive not included)

II

Clock tower. Dated 1915. Ground floor and dressings in Portland stone, the rest red brick in English bond. Roof of copper. Tower of 3 stages, square in plan. Ground floor has plain stone dado and heavily rusticated masonry, terminating in a storey band; one flat-arched entrance in west face. The middle stage begins with a smooth band of stone before changing to red brick; small camber-arched windows to each face; white stone quoins to projecting cornice between second and third stage. Stone dado to top stage pierced by bell louvres set in segmental-arched openings; corners chamfer back to make octagon, an urn marks the set back of each corner; the 8-sided upper stage has Tuscan corner pilasters with entablature above. Clock face in alternating segments of the octagon. 8-sided, concave roof capped by ball finial. Above the entrance and set under its entablature, is a bronze plaque bearing the following inscription: "This Clock Tower was provided out of moneys bequeathed for the purpose by the Corporation of Brighton by the late William Godley, Esq., of this town and was dedicated to the Public Use on the 24th day of June, 1915." Below inscription is the Borough crest. On the east face of the ground floor is a smaller bronze plaque bearing the following inscription: "Parks Commission of 1913-14-15. Alderman J. L. Otter, Mayor. Aldermen E. J. Butt Thompson, J. Stringer, H. Tester. Councillor T. J. Braybon, W. Broadbridge. Councillor H. E. Hardy, R. Major, A. Martin, J. W. Penfold, Chairman A. J. Smith. Councillor J. Smith with Councillor B. N. Southall, A. L. B. Tindale. Hugh Talbot, Town Clerk."





Listing NGR: TQ3221304452

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32213 04452

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 05:02:56.