List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STEINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS PIERS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1380672

Location

STEINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS PIERS AND RAILINGS, 55, OLD STEINE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480996

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3104SW OLD STEINE 577-1/64/636 (West side) 13/10/52 No.55 Steine House and attached walls, piers and railings (Formerly Listed as: OLD STEINE No.55 Steine House, Headquarters of the YMCA)

II

House. 1804, extensively remodelled in 1864 and 1927. Built by William Porden for the Prince's wife, Mrs Fitzherbert. Painted brick in English bond with stucco dressings; C20 mansard roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 2 and a half storeys. 3-window range. Light well in the centre. The raised ground floor projects in front of the front wall forming an enclosed porch, in the centre of which is an entrance porch. At the corners of the porch quarter-round pilasters; corner pilasters to entrance porch which terminate in ball finials. To either side floor-to-ceiling tripartite, flat-arched windows with moulded architraves and sills supported by corbels. Similar windows to first floor open onto the balcony which is enclosed by cast-iron railings and piers. The centre-window range of the first floor projects one brick's thickness. Entablature with projecting cornice across the front. Dormer to centre range of top storey of 2 flat-arched windows, finished in faceted forms which date to 1927. Corner quoins to each floor. Stacks to party and side walls. INTERIOR: the only remnant of the Porden scheme is a cast-iron stair. The building has been so heavily rebuilt that very little else remains; of note, however, is a small elliptical-plan chapel to the right rear of the first floor. Although much altered, this may date to the early C19. To the right of the main entrance is a plaque which reads: In this house lived Mrs. Fitzherbert from 1804 until her death in 1837. When completed the house had an Egyptian-style colonnade along the front which was blown down in 1805 and rebuilt in the Italianate style with a verandah. The YMCA purchased the building in 1884 and had it refaced and extended in 1927, adding an upper storey for bedrooms. It now serves as an emergency shelter for the YMCA. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 114 L).



Listing NGR: TQ3122304053

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 114L

National Grid Reference: TQ 31223 04053

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 07:52:58.