List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOCK TOWER AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1380624

Location

CLOCK TOWER AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, NORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480947

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004SE NORTH STREET 577-1/39/606 (North side) Clock tower and attached railings

II

Jubilee clock tower. 1888. Designed by John Johnson, built by JT Chappell and donated by James Willing whose name, and the date of the jubilee, 1887, are on the clock face. Portland stone and pink polished granite, roof of copper. Square in plan, the lower part having an aedicule on each of the 4 sides; base of pink polished granite with panelled Portland stone above; on each front Corinthian columns stand in front of pilasters of pink polished granite, supporting an entablature with a frieze of scrolling ornament and an open pediment; from the frieze, on each side, a ship projects far enough to be lettered on the gunwale, on the west 'TO HOVE', on the south 'TO THE SEA', on the east 'TO KEMP TOWN', and on the north 'TO THE STATION'. The aedicule frames a round-arched panel with a roundel portrait of, on the west, the Princess of Wales, on the south, Prince Albert, on the east, the Prince of Wales, and on the north, Queen Victoria; life-size female figures seated at the corners between the aedicules. The upper stage has blocked pilasters as quoins and banded rustication with pendants either side of the 4 clock faces; frieze of balusters; dentil and modillion cornice; octagonal roof with, on the 4 sides, cartouches between putti with lucarnes above, and urns at the corner; domed roof of copper, with a crown on top carrying a metal globe at the foot of a mast; this was a time ball designed by Magnus Volk, which rose and fell on the hour, but was abandoned after a few years because of complaints about the noise; weather vane with the initials JW. Iron railings with scrolled panels, and urn and spearhead finials, attached to clock tower to north and east, and also framing entrances to public lavatories. (Carder T: The Encyclopedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3084904327

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30849 04327

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 12:45:30.