List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JEWISH CEMETERY CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1380504

Location

JEWISH CEMETERY CHAPEL, FLORENCE PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480736

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3106 FLORENCE PLACE 577-1/13/282 (East side) Jewish Cemetery Chapel

GV II

Cemetery chapel. 1893. By Lainson and Son, built by Messrs Garrett. Gauged red brick set in Flemish bond, roof of tiles. Single-storey. 'Queen Anne' style. Octagonal in plan, the faces separated by broad, buttress-like piers about 7 feet high, surmounted by consoles; above this a narrower pier, one brick wide, continues up to a finial above the parapet. Entrance in west front, flat-arched with moulded architrave, swelling frieze and pediment, and above it a brick panel in the form of an apron decorated with festoons; windows round-arched with moulded architraves and festooned panel above; the panels are interrupted by a band which is continuous except where it meets the angle piers; cornice; parapet decorated with quatrefoil panels, possibly in terracotta; shallow octagonal roof with wrought-iron finial. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Builder: 10 June 1893).





Listing NGR: TQ3158506031

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 10 June - Date: 1893 - Journal Title: The Builder

National Grid Reference: TQ 31585 06031

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:49:18.