List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST WILFRIDS FLATS

List entry Number: 1380499

Location

ST WILFRIDS FLATS, ELM GROVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480731

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3205SW ELM GROVE 577-1/29/280 (North side) 14/01/81 St Wilfrid's flats (Formerly Listed as: ELM GROVE Church of St Wilfrid)

II

Church, now an old people's home. Foundation stone at west end laid 1932, work completed 1934 (all directions ritual). Designed by HS Goodhart-Rendel, built by George Lynn and Sons Ltd. Brown Keymer brick in Dutch bond, concrete-cased steel and reinforced concrete, roof of pantiles. PLAN: chancel, nave, north and south passage aisles, north and south chapels, tower over the chancel, vestry at north-east corner. EXTERIOR: all windows segmental-arched. The east end is blank. The saddleback tower lies across the width of the church, and is set back twice, very slightly; the broad sides are unwindowed; 2 tall windows to the north, with architraves of slightly recessed brickwork and set between shallow brick buttresses; above them, another pair of windows, less tall and set under a corbelled brick archivolt; cross of blue tiles with gold mosaic joints between these windows. Side chapel to north under catslide roof, its northern face unwindowed, and a window to west, matching those of the nave. Nave formerly of 5 bays, the pier projecting as haunches above the roof. Gabled north-east porch. West end canted slightly in plan, with 2 windows of which only the upper is original. Mansard roof with modern lay-lights inserted. Vestry with 2 tiers of windows, of which only the upper one is original. Screen wall to north side between porch and vestries. INTERIOR: the interior of the church has been wholly altered by the insertion of housing which leaves the south arcade and the space under the tower unencumbered; in the former side chapel to the north, a mural painting by Hans Feibusch, 1940. (RIBA Journal: 1934: vol.41: 234-9).





Listing NGR: TQ3241705259

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Royal Institute of British Architects Journal' in 24 March, (1934), 234-239

National Grid Reference: TQ 32417 05259

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 08:28:15.