List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EGREMONT GATE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1380496

Location

EGREMONT GATE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, EGREMONT PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480728

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3104SE EGREMONT PLACE 577-1/41/277 (North side) Egremont Gate and attached wall and railings

GV II

Gate. Dated 1890, designed by the Borough Engineer and Surveyor, Francis J May. Artificial stone. 3 bays. Treated as a tripartite triumphal arch; the centre passage is the tallest and broadest, and spans the debouchment of West Drive into Egremont Place; the side arches are identical and span pavements into West Drive. Each round-arched opening with architrave supported by a pair of Tuscan piers; volute keystones; spandrels of centre arch decorated with garlanded swags, those to the side arches have inset panels ornamented with Jacobean-style scrollwork and cartouches, the left-hand one reading "A.D." and the right- "1890." The centre arch has a modillioned projecting cornice with an attic frieze above. The latter bears the following inscription: "Gift of the Trustees of Brighton Race Stand. Alderman Henry Abbey. Alderman John L Brigden, JP. Alderman Ridley, JP and William Seymour Burrows, Esquire. To the inhabitants of Brighton. MDCCCXC". Above this a moulded plaque inscribed "Queen's Park", with gable cresting and volute brackets to the sides; urn at peak of crest gable. The tympanum of the pediment above each side arch is filled with a cartouche surrounded by floral scrolls; the attic storey behind this pediment is topped by a finial cast in the form of a Byzanto-Romanesque reliquarium with domed top. The arches are connected by plain walls with moulded coping. Cobble wall to east. Cast-iron railings debouch to Queen's Park Road and Park Hill. This forms a group with the former Royal Spa in Park Hill (qv) and the Park Street Gate (qv) to the south.



Listing NGR: TQ3192804345

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31928 04345

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 05:13:07.