List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHICHESTER HOUSE SCHOOL HOUSE AND DAWSON HALL BRIGHTON COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1380478

Location

CHICHESTER HOUSE SCHOOL HOUSE AND DAWSON HALL BRIGHTON COLLEGE, EASTERN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480667

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3204SW EASTERN ROAD 577-1/42/239 (North side) 20/08/71 Chichester House, School House and Dawson Hall, Brighton College (Formerly Listed as: EASTERN ROAD Brighton College)

II

Public school dormitories and administrative offices. 1883-1887 by Thomas Graham Jackson; easternmost range 1929-1930 by FT Cawthorne. Terracotta moulds made by Farmer and Brindley and cast by Doultons. Eastern Road elevation is made from red brick in English bond with dressings of terracotta and diaperwork of squared, knapped flint; on the courtyard facing the original buildings, the primary wall material is flint with terracotta and brick dressings. Roof of tile. Roughly L-shaped in plan. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: 3 to 3-and-a-half storeys over half basement. Scattered fenestration. The Eastern Road elevation articulated by a series of gabled bays of shallow projection. All windows are pointed with acute or 4-centred arches: single lancets to 4 lights, most with mullions and transoms. The most elaborate window form repeated throughout is the cinquefoiled head. Segmental brick relieving arch in wall above most windows. Many windows enriched with floral ornaments cast onto the terracotta blocks. Some enriched terracotta storey bands throughout. The focal point of this long elevation is the recessed entrance range, which was designed to terminate in a square tower with bell cupola rising above the eaves lines, but which was never completed. The main carriageway is under a 4-centred arch, with a pointed-arch walkway entrance to the right; the arches subordered and in stone, with elaborate Tudor-style diapering above each; above a double-height hall lit by a pair of 2-light, transomed windows set in an aedicule in florid Gothic style; topping the range a band of blind crenellation leading to a traceried and crenellated parapet. Octagonal buttresses framing the entrance range and meant to serve as base for tower, terminate at eaves line; narrow recessed range to either side of the entrance group, each topped by a gablet. On line with octagonal buttresses are stacks which were meant to be incorporated within upper walls of tower. The early C20 range to the right reproduces Jackson's designs almost exactly, the original terracotta moulds being reused to complete this work. Of special note are the rib vaulted ceilings of the carriage- and walkways, the webbing of brick; the rib corbels were carved by Farmer and Brindley and represent typical school activities in a deliberately archaic style. Roof stacks between gabled bays; some ridge stacks in intermediate ranges. The north facing, or courtyard range reproduces the several types of pointed-arch window found on the Eastern Road elevation; the entrance lodge ornamented with diaperwork; traceried windows to upper-floor hall. The left return of the Eastern Road elevation has scattered fenestration, all window trim, like the walls, of brick; segmental-arched windows in pointed-arched recesses. INTERIOR: not inspected. Brick wall to Eastern Road elevation and iron railings to areas on courtyard. Jackson's scheme was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1885, and was published in "The Builder" for 6 June of that year.







Listing NGR: TQ3232604029

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 6 June - Date: 1885 - Journal Title: The Builder

National Grid Reference: TQ 32326 04029

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 04:54:51.