List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HANNINGTONS DEPARTMENT STORE

List entry Number: 1380474

Location

HANNINGTONS DEPARTMENT STORE, 42, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480663

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3104SW EAST STREET 577-1/64/230 (West side) 19/10/94 No.42 Hannington's Department Store

II

Department store. c1866. By Henry Jarvis. Painted brick in Flemish bond. Roof parapeted. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys over basement. 4-window range. High Victorian Gothic style. Flat-arched windows to the first and second floors, each is set into a round-arched aedicule niche and placed well back from the front wall. On the first floor this niche is set under a plain Gothic aedicule with a gabled tympanum; the window heads are connected by a springing band. On the second floor, there is a sill band; the window-niche heads have architraves with hood mouldings above; between the window lintel, which is chamfered with ogee stops, and the round head of the niche is a blind roundel. The rebated jambs to the second-floor windows have an attached column with a capital cast in naturalistic forms. There is a sill band to the third-floor windows which are segmental arched, each set under an aedicule consisting of a Gothic gable supported by a pair of corbels. These aedicules intersect with the entablature's bracketed cornice. The main features of the elevation are repeated in the first bay of the right return, which is partly obscured by the first-floor bridge, constructed in 1989, spanning the north end of Market Street. At rear of return are flat-arched windows grouped into shallow round-arched arcades; the entablature breaks out over the centre to form a shallow pediment filled with a blind roundel. INTERIOR: cast-iron columns on ground floor stand on broached socles; the upper 2 thirds of each shaft is diapered; the capitals are formed from stylised acanthus leaves supporting an octagonal impost block. This listing does not include any other part of the Hannington's complex. HISTORICAL NOTE: Hannington's began in premises in North Street in 1808, selling textiles and hosiery. In 1814 came the first of a series of enlargements, which have continued into this century. Hannington's Corner was acquired in 1924. Purchases in 1960 and 1974 have given the store continuous frontage in North Street and East Street. Plans by the architect Henry Jarvis are held in the Borough's Plans Registry Office and are dated January 1866. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 112).





Listing NGR: TQ3117404109

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Carder, T - Title: Encyclopaedia of Brighton - Date: 1990 - Page References: 112

National Grid Reference: TQ 31174 04109

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 09:20:11.