List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOOTH MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1380452

Location

BOOTH MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, DYKE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480614

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3005NW DYKE ROAD 577-1/19/207 (North East side) Booth Museum of Natural History and attached walls and railings

II

Museum. 1874. For Thomas Booth. Brown brick set in English bond with dressings of stone, red, yellow and black brick, some of it gauged, and blue glazed brick, roof of slate. PLAN/EXTERIOR: the museum is a long shed with a plain, unwindowed wall to the right-hand return, and a short, lower extension at its north-eastern end. The street front is treated in an Italian Romanesque style, with a flat-roofed porch across the whole front and the rest of the gabled front set back. Steps up to 2 identical round-arched entrances with voussoirs of red, yellow and black brick under a round-arched hoodmould, the voussoirs dying into a springing band of red, black and blue-glazed brick; double doors with decorative wrought-iron hinges. The pattern of round arches with voussoirs, hoodmould and springing band continues over the other openings: a niche between the doors and one either side of them, and a window beyond that; elaborate entablature of gauged brick with dentil work, frieze of upright bricks and moulded brick cornice. The gable is decorated with banding and diaper work in red brick, and one course of blue glazed brick which forms part of a springing band to an arcade of 5 blank round arches; Lombard frieze and moulded brick cornice to gable. Lantern to ridge of roof. INTERIOR: the interior is simply a long shed with a late C20 roof; the historical interest of the interior lies in the cases presented by Booth, which line the walls and the centre of the building, and show British birds in their natural habitat. Splayed walls either side of the building ending in coped red brick piers; cast-iron railings to steps. HISTORICAL NOTE: built by Thomas Booth to house his collection of stuffed British birds; presented to Brighton Borough Council in 1890 by his widow; and redesignated as a museum of natural history in 1973. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3017505817

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Carder, T - Title: Encyclopaedia of Brighton - Date: 1990

National Grid Reference: TQ 30175 05817

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 06:59:18.