List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1380450

Location

11, DYKE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480612

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004SE DYKE ROAD 577-1/39/205 (South West side) 05/07/73 No.11

II

School, now a night club. 1867. By George Somers Clarke Senior for the Swan Downer School, which was founded in 1816 for the education of 20 poor girls; the foundation stone was laid by the Rev HM Wagner in 1867. Brown brick laid in English bond with dressings of red brick and stone, now painted to the level of the springing of the entrance; roofs of tiles and lead. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2-window range to Dyke Road. There is an entrance wing to the left, under a steeply hipped roof, and a main wing to the right under a higher, pitched roof. Flat-arched entrance under a pointed arch with an ogee hoodmould, the tympanum filled with a shield and scrolls. 2 pairs of lancets in the main wing, each pair divided by a column which supports part of the vaulting below the first-floor oriel; chamfered corner to first floor with a traceried niche at the head. Oriel window to first floor in the form of a broad bay supported on shafts and vaulting, the larger, central shaft in the form of a squat column with capitals of interlaced foliage, the subsidiary shafts rising from between the ground-floor windows; the vaulting and the lower part of the oriel window have lost their details; the bay itself has 4 windows to the front and one to each side, divided by exceedingly slim columns with spiral fluting to the lower part and tiny capitals; above them toplights with mouchette tracery of great inventiveness; cornice with ballflower ornament and gargoyles to the corners; hipped lead roof to the bay, divided into 2 so as to give place to a lozenge window with original mouchette tracery and a crocketed hoodmould with foliage finial. 3-light window over the entrance, its blank toplights decorated with mouchettes, quatrefoils and shields; cornice with now decayed heads above; parapet decorated with S-scrolled openwork; the principal gable has tumbled-in brickwork and openwork stone crowstepping terminating in a finial; external side stacks corbelled out below the eaves with tumbled-in brickwork and offsets; the roof to the entrance wing has leadwork apparently for a finial, now missing. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Carder T: The Encyclopedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3074204378

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30742 04378

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 09:52:22.