List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1380326

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityClee St. Margaret

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480310

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details





CLEE ST MARGARET

SO58SE Church of St Margaret 482-1/3/117 11/12/54

GV II*

Church. C11, C13 and C15; 1872 restoration, 1897 additions. Stone rubble with some herringbone work on 2 chancel walls. Ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs with ornamental ridge tiles. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, north vestry and integral belfry. EXTERIOR: chancel with restored Early English lancet to east. C11 round-headed lancet to north. To south is one Decorated pointed arched window with 2 cusped lights, and narrow priest's door with flat plain tympanum. Nave north wall: to left are 2 lancets in Early English style; gabled vestry extension to right. South wall with Decorated pointed arch with 3 orders of sunk chamfers on surround to right, to left a restored twin cusped lancet with flat head, C12 south door in centre with segmental arch on plain abacus with rounded colonnettes. Boarded and cross-boarded door containing some medieval boards. West wall with restored lancet. Stone south ~ porch is a late C19 restoration. Bellcote remodelled 1897 with open arcade under a tiled pyramid roof. 14INTERIOR: chancel with 2-bay double trenched-purlin roof with straight wind braces. 2 trusses, each with cambered tie beam, vertical struts, and collar with raking struts. Chancel benches dated 1639. Small plain pointed chancel arch with plain abacus with restored moulded hoodmould and apex figure-head, the arch flanked by large hagioscopes. C17' panelled chancel gates. Nave: 3-bay restored single trenched-purlin roof with 2 trusses of collars, twin raking struts, steeply cambered tie beams. C19 queen-post truss inserted for belfry support. C17 panelled pulpit with carved panels. C17 plain carved bench ends with seat backs with moulded top edge. Plain Norman bowl font. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 47; An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-}.



Listing NGR: SO5645084358

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 47

National Grid Reference: SO 56450 84358

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 12:59:40.