List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1380110

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 479589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3104SW NEW ROAD 577-1/40/571 (West side) 13/10/52 Christ Church

II

Unitarian chapel. 1820, altered in 1936 and refurbished in 1966. Designed by Amon Henry Wilds for John Chatfield. Brick faced with stucco on the main elevation; brick of mixed bonds on the returns which have a 4-window range to rectangular meeting hall with a west gallery. The shallow-pitched, gable-facing roof is of slate, renewed after the 1987 storm. To the rear is a large church room and kitchens from the early to mid C20, both of which are specifically excluded from this listing. Greek Revival style. EXTERIOR: the main elevation treated as a Greek temple front: a 3-step stylobate with short returns serves as a base for a tetrastyle portico of fluted Doric columns supporting a broad entablature; all soffits are plain. The front wall is bare with responds to the end columns only; between each column and front wall a thick lintel. The centre bay of the portico is wider than the sides forming a gap for the flat-arched entrance. The latter has a battered, eared architrave; Egyptian-Revival-style coved cornice over the entrance. The round-arched windows on the returns have projecting sills and are set back in deep reveals. Each window has 3 lights, the centre terminating in a roundel. At the top of the returns a brick entablature area. INTERIOR: the main church hall is roughly square in plan, with a broad coved cornice to a flat ceiling. In the ritual east wall are 2 flat-arched entrances with pediments. There is a ritual west gallery with simply parapeted front. Built for extra seating, this gallery is now used as a loft for the organ which dates to the late C19, when a wood dado was installed along the foot of the walls as well as wood benches, which have all been removed except for a set placed lengthwise along the side walls. There are 3 stained glass windows of interest: one pair, facing each other, in the second bay from the ritual east end. These are dated to 1888, and one commemorates a member of the Nye Chart family, which owned the Theatre Royal, New Road (qv) in the late C19 and early C20. In the easternmost window on the ritual north side is a WWI memorial window. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 107; A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton: Macclesfield: 1986-: 32, 1F).



Listing NGR: TQ3113404360

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 107
School of Architecture, , Interior Design, Brighton Polytechnic, A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton, (1987), 32, 1F

National Grid Reference: TQ 31134 04360

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 06:20:01.