List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CRICKETERS ARMS HOTEL AND ATTACHED IRON CHAIN AND SIGN

List entry Number: 1380002

Location

THE CRICKETERS ARMS HOTEL AND ATTACHED IRON CHAIN AND SIGN, BLACK LION STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 479474

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3104SW BLACK LION STREET 577-1/64/52 (West side) 13/10/52 The Cricketer's Arms Hotel and attached iron chain and sign

II

Hotel and public house. Although the outside is dated 1886, the building probably dates from the late C17, added to in 1790, when it was renamed "The Cricketers", and again in 1824. Stucco; painted cobbles with painted brick dressings and lacing courses to the stable block on the north; brick in Flemish bond to left return of hotel. Roof obscured by parapet. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys over basement. 2-window range. Stable also has 3 storeys, but it is on a much smaller scale than the other block, its front wall set slightly back; one-window range. Entrance to public house in left block through a segmental-arched opening with one segmental-arched window to either side. The ground floor dates to 1886; the upper floors to 1824. Above are a pair of 2-storey, full-height bays, the windows of which are flat-arched and tripartite. On the second floor between the bays is one blocked, camber-arched window. Stacks to end and party walls. The public house has been expanded into the ground floor of the stable block to the north which dates to the late C18. The original carriage entrance is segmental arched. This area, called the "Green Yard" was used as an animal pound as late as 1882; there is brick lacing course between the ground and first floors and between first floor and gabled second floor. There is, in addition, a brick lintel band to the triple windows of the first floor. The single window of the second floor abuts the brick coping of the brick gable, which is truncated. Stacks to party wall. INTERIOR: the pub interior dates to 1886 and retains many original fittings. Outside the entrance of the former stable doors is its original securing chain. Attached to the wall are a list of stable charges. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 115C).





Listing NGR: TQ3101404065

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 115c

National Grid Reference: TQ 31014 04065

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 06:18:04.