List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1379974

Location

TOWN HALL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, BARTHOLOMEWS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 479446

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3104SW BARTHOLOMEWS 577-1/64/21 Town Hall and attached railings 20/08/71

II

Town hall. 1830-1832; reconstructed and enlarged 1897-99. Designed by Thomas Cooper. Stucco. Roof parapeted. Greek Revival style. EXTERIOR: the original structure had 4 storeys; dominating each elevation was a 2-stage, 4 storey pedimented portico with a Doric Order below and an Ionic above; the elevation to the east was the most imposing, appearing to have extra height due to the steep fall in the site; a broad flight of steps originally filled Bartholomews. The main block of the building was square in plan and to this block the porticos were attached; there were single storey pavilions at each corner with heavy rebated pilasters and a lower single storey range running between each corner and a portico. The result was of a modified Greek Cross plan. It should be noted, however, that the plan and design was, from the time of its completion, never regular. Apart from the giant 2-stage porticos several other features can be glimpsed through the late C19 overlay; among these are: the rebated corner pilasters, the windows and architraves under the surviving porticos, the simple Tuscan aedicules to the second floor windows, and the high basement on the east facade with its segmental-arched windows. Many of the cast-iron railings seem also to survive from the time of the building's completion, although they are very likely no longer in their original positions. The following description treats the building as it was enlarged to serve the increased needs of the Borough. The west elevation has a 10-window range, the north 7, and the east 12. Centre block of 4 storeys, with 3-storey set-back blocks filling in the arms of the Greek cross; basement and sub-basement throughout. When completed the design had fewer storeys. The 2-stage porticos on west and north elevations are the only parts of the first design to remain more or less untouched. Each elevation conforms roughly to the following description. Giant Doric tetrastyle portico to centre, its entablature with a triglyph and metope frieze; above a giant Ionic tetrastyle portico with pediment. Originally short side walls continued back from responds of end columns. Pairs of clustered corner pilasters, the area between which and the porticoes is now articulated into bays by giant pilasters to the first 2 floors, the whole area run over with banded rustication, a feature which dates to the late C19 as do the numerous windows with keyed architraves. All windows, whether from 1830 or 1897, are flat arched. It is certain that the attic storey's broad, shallow entablature is another remnant of Cooper's design. There are flat-arched entrances to be found under each portico. The east-facing elevation has the most irregular plan of all. This elevation, which rises from a heavily rusticated basement made prominent by the fall in the site to the east, sets back at the third floor, except for the third- to the sixth-window range, the centre section of which projects slightly from the front wall to form a full-height inset which, on the second and third floors, is a giant Ionic tetrastyle pilastrade, recalling the second stages of the double-height porticos on the other elevations. This feature refers to the original 2-tier portico which was removed in the course of alterations. The ground- and first-floor windows have keyed architraves more elaborate than any found on the other elevations. There is a first-floor balcony, comprised of 3 curving sections, each supported by thick brackets; the balcony is enclosed by sections of panelled socle and a balustrade. The eighth- and ninth-window range sets back further than any other section of the facade, terminating in a chamfered corner. INTERIOR: the interior is dominated by a full-height stair well, rectangular in plan, running on a north/south axis. This is filled by a nearly free-standing stair structure with galleries to offices on all sides; late C19 in date. The hall is lit by a skylight and floored with mosaics in a floral and wave pattern. Other important features include: a large Council Chamber in the south range of the second floor and police holding cells on the east and south sides of the basement and sub-basement. Between 1984 and 1987 Bartholomew House and Priory House (not included) were added to the south of the building to give more space for municipal offices.



Listing NGR: TQ3109904012

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31099 04012

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:38:03.