List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELIOT HOUSE

List entry Number: 1379956

Location

ELIOT HOUSE, THE BISHOPS AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBarnetLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Dec-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 479421

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2688 THE BISHOP'S AVENUE

31/27/10360 Eliot House

GV II

House, and attached garden walls. 1925, dated on overthrow, by P.D. Hepworth for Charles Ryan. Formerly known as White Walls. Whitewashed brick, green-glazed pantile roofs, white painted shutters, originally turquoise. Symmetrical, set on axis of main gates. Five bays, breaking forward from recessed centre to form flanking wings. Two storeys and attics. Rusticated brick quoins, the uppermost quoin under the eaves in tiles, hipped and half-hipped roofs with plain over sailing eaves. Central entrance in round-headed eared architrave with pronounced keystone and swept base. Door of six fielded panels beneath fanlight. Above 4 x 4 pane sash with glazing bars between white painted shutters. Small-paned dormer casement in segmental-headed eared architrave with swept base. Behind, tall white painted stack with chamfered angles, staged base and moulded cap. Flanking bays have tall first floor 4 x 8 pane sash with glazing bars above small ground floor vent with lozenge grille under keystone. Outer wings under half-hipped roofs, at ground floor a 4 x 5 pane sash with glazing bars, above a similar 4 x 4 pane sash with glazing bars, both with shutters. Tall stack set laterally on each rear roof similarly treated to central stack. Rear elevation. Symmetrical apart from small ground floor extension to right angle, treated as the main house. Five bay central block of two storeys with attics under a swept hipped roof; set back, flanking two storey single bays. Central French window with small panes, part repaired, under segmental arch. Above, flat canopy carrying iron balustrade. Flanking full height sashes with glazing bars under segmental arches with keystone. First floor five 4 x 4 pane sashes with glazing bars with shutters, each above recessed brick apron. Three flat-roofed dormer casements with small panes. To left, ground floor 4 x 5 pane sash with glazing bars, above similar but of 4 x 4 panes. Right bay similarly treated but with ground floor pushed forward with large opening behind grille. Left return in two bays, with ground floor French windows treated as rear, above, two 4 x 4 pane sashes with glazing bars with shutters, between narrow 2 x 4 pane light. Right return, service end, possibly with renewed door and windows. Tripartite sashes with glazing bars to both storeys, part glazed door. Interior: Plan form largely intact, except for rear room broken through to extension. Simply treated with little ornament. Closed string stair with square newels and twisted balusters, all painted, oak rail. Doors with vertical panels, all said to be original except for exact copy to extension. Fireplaces removed. Attached screen walls and gate piers. Whitewashed brick. Thin stone coping. Square gate piers with moulded stone caps, some carrying urns. A. Trystan Edwards, some recent work of Philip Hepworth, 1931. Hampstead Garden Suburb Conservation Area, The Bishop's Avenue, Draft Character Appraisal Statement, L.B. Barnet, Oct. 1998.



Listing NGR: TQ2693888559

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Trystan Edwards, A, Some Recent Work of Philip Hepworth, (1931)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26938 88559

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 12:08:40.