List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1379888

Location

TOWN HALL, TOWN HALL SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North East LincolnshireUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 479330

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRIMSBY

TA2709SW TOWN HALL SQUARE 699-1/22/68 (South side) 31/10/74 Town Hall

GV II

Town hall and former courthouse and police station. 1861-3 by Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln with John Giles of London, and James Fowler of Louth as superintending architect, for Great Grimsby Corporation. Alterations and additions of 1887 by EW Farebrother and John Buchan of Grimsby, architects, and Walter Binns, builder, including new council chamber, banqueting room, entrance hall and main staircase. Later C20 additions and alterations. MATERIALS: yellow brick with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. STYLE: Itlaianate palazzo style. PLAN: rectangular on plan, with main entrance and function room to north front, and council chamber, former courtroom and police cells to rear. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 1:7:1 bays to north front, with outer bays breaking forward. Moulded ashlar plinth, channelled rustication to ground floor and boldly rusticated angles to outer bays. Tetrastyle portico with double Corinthian columns with bold block rustication, entablature with boars' heads (from town Arms) in relief, balustraded balcony with piers carrying ogee finials. Entrance flanked by double columns and pilasters, with recessed partly glazed revolving door and side doors. Arcaded ground floor with rusticated piers, raised imposts and keyed segmental arches containing recessed segmental-arched windows. Outer bays have a similar window in a central recessed panel. First floor: central section has pilastered round-arched arcade with tall recessed 2-light windows, the arches with hoodmoulds with carved finials. Above are 6 roundels with projecting busts of (from left) Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, Archbishop Whitgift, King Edward III, Earl of Yarborough, Gervase Holles. Outer bays have giant twin Corinthian pilasters flanking a single window in an eared architrave with triangular pediment and balustraded aprons; above is a single square plaque with painted relief of town Arms. Entablature at eaves with modillioned cornice, balustraded parapet with square piers. Tall hipped roofs to outer bays with round-headed dormer windows. Right return, in 2 builds. 3-bay main range has similar details to main front, with central door and flanking windows

beneath keyed segmental arches, and pedimented first-floor sashes with blind square panels above. Lower 2-storey 5-bay 1887 Courthouse and Council Chamber section to right has quoins, arcaded ground floor with rusticated piers and keyed round arches. Entrance to right with panelled double door and overlight beneath rusticated arch with relief inscription "COURT HOUSE". Recessed 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. Bold first-floor string course, tall first-floor windows with stained glass in eared architraves with sill string course and panelled aprons, the central apron bearing a foundation tablet dated 18th August 1887, with names of architects, builder etc. Above are lunettes with radial glazing bars, keyed architraves and sill string course. Coved eaves cornice. Left return, in 3 builds, 2:8:3 bays. 3-bay section to right is similar to right return. 8-bay section to left has door to left of centre beneath blind round arch, 4-bay arcaded section to right with rusticated piers and keyed round arches containing recessed 3-light round-headed windows; to the left, 3 sashes and a casement beneath 2 wide blind arches. Moulded first-floor string course, first-floor 2-light windows in eared architraves. Later addition to left in matching style and materials has pair of doors and 4 ground-floor sashes beneath lintels, 2 first-floor windows in architraves. INTERIOR: entrance hall has Doric-columned screen with round arches. Staircase hall has columned Venetian window, shell-headed alcoves, dentilled cornice and deeply coved ceiling; stone imperial staircase with heavy balusters and piers carrying griffins holding the town Arms. Main assembly room, first-floor front, has wall arcade of Composite pilasters, coved and panelled plasterwork ceiling with pendants and roses, gallery with cast-iron balustrade. Banqueting Room, first-floor rear left, has dado, Doric pilasters, frieze and panelled ceiling. Council Chamber, first-floor rear right, has elaborate wood panelling with Ionic pilasters and pedimented overdoors; Ionic wall arcade with ornate plasterwork frieze and cornice, and coved ceiling with panels and pendants; richly carved furnishings, windows in architraves with stained glass coats of arms of 1957. Former prison cells to rear centre, in a row of 5, each cell barrel-vaulted, with original doors; a second range is represented by their doors and corridor; the former exercise yard is now a room. The former courtroom, adjoining to rear right, is now a function room, also used for the Mayor's Court. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 342; Grimsby - Action for

Conservation: Grimsby Borough Planning Department: List of buildings of local architectural or historical interest: Grimsby Borough Council: 1972-: NO.1; Grimsby Borough Council: Top Town Trail: Grimsby: 1989-: NO. 26; Grimsby Planning Department: Central Conservation Area: Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: MAP).







Listing NGR: TA2711009291

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 342

National Grid Reference: TA 27110 09291

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:05:22.