List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1379762

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, ST CUTHBERTS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SeftonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 479169

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHPORT

SD3618NE ST CUTHBERT'S ROAD, Churchtown 664-1/7/291 (East side) 21/09/51 Church of St Cuthbert (Formerly Listed as: CHURCHTOWN Church of St Cuthbert)

GV II

Parish church. 1730-9, altered c1860, restored and partly rebuilt 1908-9 by Isaac Taylor. Coursed dressed sandstone and ashlar, slate roof. STYLE: Georgian. PLAN: nave with west steeple off-set south, chancel added 1908-9. EXTERIOR: the square 3-stage tower, with quoins, a plain band to the first stage and a moulded band to the second, a moulded cornice, pilastered parapet and octagonal spire with 3 moulded bands, has a pilastered round-headed west doorway with imposts and keystone (now blocked), a round-headed window to the second stage with wooden Y-tracery and round-headed louvred belfry windows with similar surrounds; on the south side of the second stage a clock-face with shouldered surround inscribed: 1739. In the north angle of the tower is a lean-to office. The south side of the nave has 4 plus 2 narrow bays (the latter formerly the chancel), with diagonal buttresses terminating in pinnacles, a gabled porch in the second bay (of 1909) and tall round-headed windows in the other bays, all with C20 round-arched tracery, and the bottom of each blocked with C20 masonry. The north side (rebuilt in early C20) has a large Venetian window in the centre (relocated E window of former chancel). INTERIOR: porch contains round-headed south doorway with inscriptions to left and right of the keystone: James Rimer Robert Ball Thomas Rimer Church Wardens and James Whitehead Rector 1730; single-vessel nave contains very unusual wooden aisle arcades with wide elliptical arches (of 1908-9), and a shallow west gallery in the same style, with spiral newel stairs; chancel contains fine carved wooden reredos by Richard Prescott in Grinling Gibbons style, being part of 1704 reredos from church of St Peter, Liverpool (demolished 1922), and communion rail from the same source; at south-east end are memorial tablets to Thomas Fleetwood (d.1717), and Roger Hesketh (d.1791) by Nollekens; and a hatchment. Principal element of group in centre of the village.



Listing NGR: SD3652618638

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 36526 18638

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:12:41.