List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1 AND 3 AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS

List entry Number: 1379406

Location

NUMBERS 1 AND 3 AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, 1 AND 3, LYNDHURST TERRACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478786

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685SE LYNDHURST TERRACE 798-1/38/1093 (West side) 30/09/83 Nos.1 AND 3 and attached boundary walls

II*

Pair of semi-detached houses. c1864-5. By John Burlison, aided by Alfred Bell of Clayton and Bell, both stained-glass manufacturers, for themselves; 1868 converted to one house and interior Gothicised by Bell and Charles Buckridge; c1895 divided again. Yellow stock brick with red and white brick dressings, bands and diaper decoration. Slated roofs with dormers and tall brick slab chimney-stacks. Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys with attics and basement. Main front irregular with 4-window centre (roof altered to make additional attic storey) flanked by projecting gabled wings, 3-lights to left, 2 to right wing with lower lean-to storey, behind which there is a 2-light gable with chimney and rising roof. Left hand wing has 3-light 2-storey bay, with arcaded brick balustrade, linking it to rectangular tower at angle with pyramidal roof and corbelled oriel window on return. Most windows are lancets, where multiple lights, with colonnettes having carved capitals. Ground floor arcaded, forming porches at angles. Left hand return has circular tower with lancets and conical roof; to left, a chimney breast rising through full height. Rear, elevation with wide half-hipped bay having a large projecting canted ground floor bay with arcaded brick balustrade to provide a balcony. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted that surviving interior decoration is of fine quality, including fireplaces, stained glass and a good surviving scheme of painted wall decoration. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached polychrome brick patterned walls having gabled pointed arch gateways and small arcaded openings; on left hand return to Lyndhurst Road, wall is buttressed and stepped with a round-arched entrance. Leading from gateway to porch of No.1, an inner wall with grouped arcaded openings. HISTORICAL NOTE: Burlison was Bell's father-in-law and, as first built, the house contained residences for both families with an internal door between. Burlison died in 1868 and Bell's family took over the whole building naming it Bayford House. Bell then employed Buckeridge to help produce a wildly ornamented interior. After Bell's death in 1895 the house was divided again.



Listing NGR: TQ2665485264

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26654 85264

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 06:44:41.