List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1-11 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1379303

Location

NUMBERS 1-11 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-11, NEW SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478672

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3081SE LINCOLN'S INN 798-1/106/1027 (East side) 24/10/51 Nos.1-11 (consec) New Square and attached railings

GV II*

11 chambers. c1690-97. By Dr Nicholas Barbon. For Henry Vincent, Lord Chandos of Sudeley. The form of New Square established 1682 and foundations probably dug 1685 by Henry Serle, with whom Barbon had been involved through the former's partner, Robert Clerke, but who died in 1690. Brown brick with red brick dressings, basements now stuccoed. Slated roofs behind parapets. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and basements, the top storey being added in C18. Stone, architraved doorcases with pulvinated frieze, console-bracketed cornice and curved, broken pediment with ball in centre, with the exception of No.10 with a triangular pediment and No.11 without a ball. No.1: red brick bands at 1st and 2nd floor levels; 3rd floor with multi-coloured stock brick band. 9 windows. Gauged red brick flat arches to slightly recessed sash windows most with exposed boxing and most with C18 glazing bars. Ground and some 1st floor windows with shutters. Some 1st and 2nd floor windows with C19 blind boxes. On left return, a stone tablet set up by John Greene, Treasurer of Lincoln's Inn in 1693, inscribed "This wall is built upon the ground of Linconles Inne. No windows are to be broken out without leave". INTERIOR: with original panelling to the hall and some of the rooms. Original dog-leg stair with turned balusters and square reveals. No.2: red brick band at 2nd floor level. 9 windows. Gauged red brick segmental arches to slightly recessed sash windows. Ground floor and 5 windows of 1st floor with shutters. INTERIOR: with some panelling. Round iron balusters to stone stairs. RCHM (West London) suggests that No.2 was rebuilt during the C18 and C19. No.3: brick band at 1st floor level. 4 windows and 1 window on right hand forward return. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush frame sash windows with exposed boxing. Shutters to 3 ground floor windows. INTERIOR: round iron balusters to stone stairs. No.4: 3rd floor partly rebuilt in yellow stock brick. 4 windows and attic dormers. Ground floor with door to right and to left the Back Gate to Carey Street. 4 centred arch to New Square with grotesque keystone, carved brackets supporting broken segmental pediment with scrolls at sides. Above, 2



segmental pedimented enriched panels with coats-of-arms dated 1697 of De Lacy and Serle. The back gate originally consisted of a carriage-way and 2 flanking pedestrian passages. The footways were converted into shops c1843. Each footway of 4 bays with pilasters carrying groined vault. Shop fronts in bays with large panes. The 4-centred arch to Carey Street is flanked by panelled Doric pilasters with cornice, broken scroll pediment and elaborately panelled gates. Both arches are of painted cement. Below arches at both ends of the passage, C19 lamps of Nico type supported by scroll work. INTERIOR: altered; turned balusters and square newels to dog leg stair with closed string. No.5: brick bands at 1st and 2nd floor. 4 bays of the 3rd floor stuccoed with architraved sashes and a cornice. 9 windows. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. INTERIOR: turned balusters and square reveals to dog leg stairs. No.6: brick bands at 1st and 2nd floor. 6 bays of the 3rd floor stuccoed with architraved sashes and a rudimentary cornice. 9 windows. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. INTERIOR: turned balusters and square reveals to dog leg stairs. No.7: brick bands at 1st and 2nd floor. On return, 3rd floor moulded brick band. 3 1/2 bays of 3rd floor stuccoed with architraved sashes and a rudimentary cornice. Rest of 3rd floor partly rebuilt. 4 windows and 1 window to right hand forward return. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush framed sashes. INTERIOR: turned balusters and square reveals to dog leg stairs. No.8: moulded brick band to 2 left hand 3rd floor bays. Centre bays, 3rd and 4th floor yellow stock brick with red brick dressings. 11 windows. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. INTERIOR: turned balusters and square reveals to dog leg stairs. No.9: brick bands at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor levels. 4th storey in yellow stock brick. 9 windows. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. INTERIOR: turned balusters and square reveals to dog leg stairs. No.10: frontage rebuilt after a fire in 1752 and partly re-faced and re-roofed c1951 after war damage. Yellow stock brick. Stone bands at ground and 1st floor level. Stone 1st floor sill band and stone bracketed cornice at 3rd floor level. 9 windows. Flat brick arches to recessed sashes. 3 formers form central roof line feature with central window in arched recess with pediment. INTERIOR: dog leg stair with square iron balusters. No.11: frontage partly re-faced and re-roofed c1951 after war damage. Red brick with plain brick band at 1st floor level and



moulded brick band at 2nd floor. Tiled roof with dormers. 3 storeys, basement and attic. 8 windows. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush frame sashes with exposed boxing. At 1st floor level a carved and inscribed plaque dated 1691; also date plaques inscribed DSC 1693, FSG 1787 and TS 1951. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas with urn finials. HISTORICAL NOTE: New Square is important as a very well preserved and early example of a set of early legal chambers, remarkably spacious and with good panelled interiors not seen. It is also one of the most complete surviving C17 set pieces in London.



Listing NGR: TQ3103581324

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30999 81260

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 01:41:05.