List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KENWOOD HOUSE (IVEAGH BEQUEST)

List entry Number: 1379242

Location

KENWOOD HOUSE (IVEAGH BEQUEST)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478610

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/07/2012

TQ2787SW 798-1/3/972 10/06/54

CAMDEN KENWOOD Kenwood House (Iveagh Bequest)

GV I

Detached villa. Original house c1616, renovated c1749 and forming the core of the present house, including the orangery with boudoir on the west. In c1767-68 Robert Adam added the library with anteroom on the east and the north entrance portico, together with an additional 2nd floor on the south front which he remodelled. In c1795 George Saunders added the projecting north wings, west veranda; also the Service wing and kitchens (qv). Restored 1955-9. EXTERIOR: north front: stucco centre and white brick wings with hipped slated roofs forming a shallow entrance court. 3 storeys. Centre with Ionic tetrastyle portico having an enriched frieze and medallion in the tympanum; flanked by 3 window bays. Central doorway architraved with console-bracketed entablature with fluted frieze. 1st floor sill band with guilloche decoration. Recessed sashes. Stone entablature with dentil cornice and fluted frieze; blocking course. Wings with 3 windows each to courtyard. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes. Stone eaves cornice. On north elevations of wings ground floor windows of Palladian type with Ionic order. West facade: 6 windows with veranda of copper tented roof supported on cast-iron Ionic openwork pillars with palmette design. South front: central block of 3 storeys 7 windows, linked on either side by single storey units to the 5-bay single storey orangery on the left and similar library to the right. Stucco central block with slated hipped roof and slab chimney-stacks. 3 central window bays slightly projecting. Ground floor with a shallow, round-arched niche at either angle. Square-headed part glazed (with glazing bars) central doorway in shallow, round-arched niche. Pilasters of Adam's own invention rise through the 1st and 2nd floors, paired at the angles to carry an entablature and over the projecting bays, a pediment with enriched tympanum. Recessed sashes; above the 1st floor sashes enriched stucco rectangular panels. Bands at 1st and 2nd floor levels. Linking units with Palladian windows, band above (continued from 1st floor of central block) and blocking course. Orangery with Ionic attached columns, paired at angles, supporting an entablature. Round arched windows in shallow recesses with impost bands. Slated hipped roof. Library similar except for square-headed sashes in round-arched recesses. INTERIOR: largely redecorated by Adam with ceilings and murals by Antonio Zucchi and Angelica Kauffman. Especially notable is Adam's barrel-vaulted library with apses at each end screened by giant Corinthian columns; also by Adam are the library anteroom and the main staircase with iron handrail. The marble hall with a lantern carried on segmental arches was added c1795. HISTORICAL NOTE: the original brick box was renovated c1749 for John, 3rd Earl of Bute, acquired by the 1st Earl of Mansfield in 1754 and remodelled as a holiday retreat by Adam. It became a permanent residence in 1780, the 2nd Earl setting the road back to its current line in 1793 allowing the house to stand free in the park. The bulk of the estate bought in 1922 to save it from redevelopment and in 1924 vested in the London County Council. The house and collection of paintings donated 1927 by Edward Cecil Guinness, first Earl of Iveagh. (Survey of London: Vol. XVII: London: -1936: 114-132).



Listing NGR: TQ2708587418

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27085 87418

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 05:53:03.