List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1379106

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY, HOLLY PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478472

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NW HOLLY PLACE 798-1/26/917 (East side) 11/08/50 Roman Catholic Church of St Mary

GV II*

Roman Catholic church being the centre-piece of an informal terrace formed by Nos 1-4 Holly Place (qv) and Nos 5-8 Holly Place (qv). c1816 for the Abbe Morel; refronted c1830, belfry and aedicule with sculptured Virgin and Child added c1850, restored 1990. Stucco. EXTERIOR: narrow entrance front with projecting central entrance bay rising through the gable end to form a segmental pedimented bellcote surmounted by a cross. Round-arched architraved and pilastered entrance flanked by paired pilasters at angles supporting a Doric entablature. Above this, a pedimented aedicule containing a sculptured Virgin and Child; a roundel beneath the bellcote. INTERIOR: 3-bay nave with arched windows, vaulted and mosaic transept chapels, and vaulted 3-bay sanctuary with marble and mosaic baldacchino, with inset oil paintings of holy scenes, by Adrian Gilbert Scott who also designed the altar. Western gallery. HISTORICAL NOTE: GG Scott Jnr and Thomas Garner who lived in Church Row did work on the church but it is not clear what. One of the earliest Roman Catholic churches to be built in England after the Reformation. The congregation had grown in Hampstead around Abbe Morel, a refugee from the French Revolution. The more elaborate front followed the Catholic Emancipation Act in 1829.





Listing NGR: TQ2625685791

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26250 85793

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 02:57:22.