List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FLASK PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1379053

Location

FLASK PUBLIC HOUSE, 74, 75 AND 76, HIGHGATE WEST HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478419

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2887SW HIGHGATE WEST HILL 798-1/5/879 (East side) 14/05/74 Nos.74, 75 AND 76 Flask Public House

GV II

Public house. Possibly early C18, partially rebuilt c1767 by William Carpenter and with various later alterations and additions. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars with 5 windows. Building to left, 2 storeys 2 windows and double hipped roof. Brick refacing with red brick bands between recessed sashes with gauged red brick flat arches. Ground floor with C20 wooden porch. Parapet. 2 storey building has multi-colour brick ground floor and stucco 1st floor. Wooden shopfront of 3 reeded pilasters, frieze and cornice above which is an oval tablet inscribed "WC 1767". Right hand forward return of former stabling is formed by the rear of Nos 23 to 25 South Grove (qv). INTERIOR: upper bar in later building to left remodelled late C20. Lower bars in original building, named the Snug and Committee Room by early 1995, with 1930s matchboard panelling and fireplaces; these spaces divided by central bar enclosed by sliding sashes with glazing bars, perhaps a mixture of late C18 and 1930s work. Behind it a dog-leg stair with turned balusters on a closed string, c1700, with some panelling. Upper floors not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: during the early C18 the Manorial Court was held here. (Survey of London: Vol. XVII, The Village of Highgate (Parish of St Pancras part I): London: -1936: 111-113; VCH: Middlesex : 6: London: 138).





Listing NGR: TQ2825287288

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1969), 138
'Survey of London' in The Village of Highgate The Parish of St Pancras Part 1: Volume 17 , (1936), 111-113

National Grid Reference: TQ 28252 87288

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 07:03:00.