List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 3 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, WALL AND LAMP

List entry Number: 1378978

Location

NUMBER 3 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, WALL AND LAMP, 3, THE GROVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478341

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2887SW THE GROVE 798-1/5/1606 (West side) 10/06/54 No.3 and attached railings, wall and lamp

GV II*

Detached house. c1688 built by William Blake; later C19 south wing rebuilt and 2nd floor added to main structure; further alterations and additions c1930 by Seely and Paget. Red brick with plain brick bands at floor levels. Slate roof with moulded wood and block bracketed eaves cornice added c1930. Main house, 3 storeys and basement. 4 windows. Wooden doorcase with shaped brackets and hood; overlight and panelled door. Ground and 1st floors have flush framed sashes with exposed boxing; ground floor segmental arches, 1st floor flat arches. Recessed sashes to 2nd floor. Left hand addition of 2 storeys & attic in tiled mansard roof. Single tripartite sash with louvred shutters to each floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron railings on low brick wall. Gateway with lamp overthrow having Windsor lantern. Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet, lived here with Dr Gillman 1824-34 (plaque). Home of JB Priestley 1931-41 (English Heritage plaque). (Survey of London: Vol. XVII, The Village of Highgate, St Pancras I: London: -1936: 77-94; RCHME: London, Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 90).







Listing NGR: TQ2817887264

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the historical monuments in London Volume 2 West London excluding Westminster Abbey - Date: 1925 - Page References: 90
  2. Article  Reference - Title: The Village of Highgate The Parish of St Pancras Part 1: Volume 17 - Date: 1936 - Journal Title: Survey of London - Page References: 77-94

National Grid Reference: TQ 28181 87264

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 05:58:04.