List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAPTIST CHURCH HOUSE KINGSGATE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1378782

Location

BAPTIST CHURCH HOUSE, 2, 4 AND 6, SOUTHAMPTON ROW
KINGSGATE HOUSE, CATTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Feb-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478136

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3081NE CATTON STREET 798-1/101/1477 Kingsgate House 15/02/82

GV II*

See under: Nos.2, 4 AND 6 Baptist Church House SOUTHAMPTON ROW.

CAMDEN

TQ3081NE SOUTHAMPTON ROW 798-1/101/1477 (East side) 15/02/82 Nos.2, 4 AND 6 Baptist Church House

GV II*

Includes: Kingsgate House CATTON STREET. Office block and shops with former chapel; Kingsgate House, Catton Street forms the return and rear of this building. 1901-1903. By Arthur Keen, architect for the Baptist Union of Great Britain and Ireland. Restored in 1946 by RM Piggott. Exterior sculpture by Richard Garbe and internal plasterwork by Lawrence Turner. Portland stone ashlar with tiled roofs. STYLE: "Wrenaissance" style with Flemish inspired shaped gables, eclectic Baroque and Arts and Crafts details. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys with attic gables and 4 stage attic tower. 5 bays to Southampton Row, 3-bay return and 6-bay wing to Catton Street. North west corner splayed. Ground floor has 3 wide segmental-arched shopfronts, at south the surviving original shop window. Off-centre centre doors and fanlight. First floor has segmental-arched tripartite windows, over entrance with attached Corinthian columns, at south end bay flanked with 2 additional openings. Second and third floors have alternate flush rusticated bays with recessed bays having giant Ionic columns through both storeys. Third floor with 4 arch headed windows with Ionic half columns and pediments; 4th floor with 4 straight headed windows; additional flanking openings to south end bay on both floors. First and second floor bands, rusticated angle quoins, and attic cornice. Sashes with glazing bars throughout. Attic pediment over entrance bay with attic tower above, Wrennian inspiration angle pilasters, urns, dentil cornice, octagonal bell stage with arched louvred openings. Concave octagonal arched windows with lunettes over, shaped verges and apex aedicules. Much metalwork decoration to balconies and sills. Splayed north-west angle has foundation tablet dated 1901 and, above, a statue of John Bunyan by Richard Garbe, sculptor. Return to Catton Street has 3 stone ashlar and 6 red brick and stone dressed bays. Arched ground floor openings. Gabled 1st floor and arch-headed second floor sashes with glazing bars. Attached at north-east, former Kingsgate Chapel. 2 storeys with attic; polygonal on plan. Tripartite lunettes, angle pilasters, polygonal tiled cupola with clerestory and conical roof. 2 storey advanced porch. 3 stage tower with angle quoins, gabled windows, swept lead roof with cupola.



INTERIORS: Baptist Church House retains tiled and vaulted ground and first floor corridors. The statue of Charles Haddon Spurgeon by Derwent Wood which formerly stood on an inscribed plinth under a niche in the entrance hall is now missing; the entrance hall is pilastered and has a barrel vault, a ceiling treatment which recurs throughout the ground and first floors. Dog-leg stone tread stair in C17 manner with fat balusters and handrail in wood to first floor; metal-work balustrade to stair on upper floors. Four interiors of very good quality inspected in September 1994: The original 2-storey Kingsgate Chapel to the rear of the site was divided at gallery level in 1939. It is octagonal in plan with a dome finishing in a columned light monitor. Fine plaster ornament augmented by low relief panels depicting varieties of British trees in an Arts and Crafts manner by Lawrence Turner; the inside has recently been sealed to the weather and fumigated. After it was divided in two the top half of the Chapel became the Union's Council Chamber. In 1939 the former Council Chamber became the 'Shakespeare Room', named after the Union Secretary at the time the complex was built. This is a barrel-vaulted room of 3 bays on the first floor (now No.108) with splendid Arts and Crafts plaster work by Lawrence Turner; the chimney piece is made from polished alabaster and features a low relief terracotta plaque depicting Baptist missionaries liberating aboriginals; this is signed Doulton of Lambeth and is said to be by George Tinworth; wood panelling to lower walls; tympanum of barrel vault opposite entrance bears low relief portrait bust of Robert Hall in stone; Diocletian windows with original leaded glazing. The former Committee Room is also on the first floor (now No.107, it is found in the north-west corner): this is entered via a short barrel-vaulted corridor which is top glazed; in the side wall of this corridor is a plaque erected at the time the building was completed recording those associated with the project; ceiling divided into nine compartments, the principal divisions ornamented by rich plasterwork; a second terracotta low relief plaque, also said to be the work of Tinworth is set above the fireplace. Finally, there is the former Library on the second floor, now room No.208, with wood panelling and an exceptionally fine chimney surround with inlaid wood and roundels in an Arts and Crafts manner; the original book cases fixed to the walls survive; ceiling divided into 12 compartments, across 4 bays; 4 segmental-arched clerestory windows to east wall above library cases and two to the west wall; all windows with lead glazing of an original design. The General Secretary's room, said to have a plaster cornice with central pendant could not be located, nor could the Visitor's Room with panelled ceiling and cornice, although the rooms have been renamed and may be



those inspected. Many original doors survive, and several features from the 1939 refurbishment, including stair rails and floors. HISTORICAL NOTE: The British Council of Churches was inaugurated here in 1942.



Listing NGR: TQ3054681574

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30522 81567

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 03:28:18.