List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIORY CHURCH OF ST DOMINIC

List entry Number: 1378775

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIORY CHURCH OF ST DOMINIC, SOUTHAMPTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478128

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2785SE SOUTHAMPTON ROAD 798-1/40/1473 (West side) 14/05/74 Roman Catholic Priory Church of St Dominic

GV II*

Dominican priory church. 1874-83. By Charles A Buckler. Multi-colour stock brick with stone dressings. Slated roof with Lombard type frieze at eaves level. STYLE: Early English. PLAN: nave of 8 bays with clerestory; aisles with lean-to roofs and projecting gabled chapels separated by buttresses; transepts; polygonal apse. EXTERIOR: west front central gabled and buttressed entrance bay with pointed arched entrance of recessed orders having quatrefoil medallion with relief of Holy Family in tympanum; double wooden doors. Entrance flanked by blind traceried windows. 4-light traceried east window flanked by blind Y tracery windows; Lombard type frieze at apex base; apex with rose window and trefoil reliefs at angles. Eastern aisle windows of 2-light traceried centres flanked by blind pointed windows; buttresses flank moulded aisle entrances; seated statues of evangelists in niches above doors. Aisle and clerestory windows of plate tracery. INTERIOR: lofty with quadripartite timber vault. Piers with stiff-leaf capitals and steep pointed arches; clerestory with cast-iron gallery intended originally for cleaning and lighting. Designed as a shrine in honour of Our Lady of the Rosary, each of the 15 mysteries has its own chapel; 7 on either side of the nave with the high altar and sanctuary as the 15th dedicated to the Coronation of the Virgin. Transepts with chapels; that of St Dominic with reredos painted by Philip Westlake, others with richly carved stone reredoses. Stations of the Cross painted in Late Gothic style by NHJ Westlake, 1887. The Chapel of the Annunciation was the gift of Buckler who is depicted in the window. The High Altar was also designed by Buckler with central tabernacle, pinnacled Gothic tower and surmounted by a gilded imperial diadem. To either side, mosaics by Salviati. Some good stained glass by Gibbs and Howard, 1880. The planning, embodying a universal prayer in the structure of the buildings, is unique in England. HISTORICAL NOTE: one of the first buildings in England built by the revived Dominican Order, which bought the site in 1862.





Listing NGR: TQ2786485151

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27864 85151

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 10:09:51.