List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STANFIELD HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1378695

Location

STANFIELD HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 85 AND 86, HAMPSTEAD HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478029

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NE HAMPSTEAD HIGH STREET 798-1/27/758 (South side) 11/08/50 Nos.85 AND 86 Stanfield House and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: HAMPSTEAD HIGH STREET No.85 Stanfield House)

GV II*

Marked on OS map as Fourth Church of Christ Scientist. Pair of semi-detached houses, now subdivided. c1730. Northern house: brown brick with red brick dressings. Hipped slated roof. 2 storeys 2 windows. Ground floor tripartite French window. Gauged brick segmental arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. Parapet. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted that ground floor altered 1885 for use as a public library. Panelled rooms to 1st floor. Southern house: brown brick with red brick dressings and plain bands between storeys. Tiled roof. Cemented side wall to Prince Arthur Road return. 3 storeys and semi-basement. 3 windows plus blind window to right. Wooden doorcase with console-bracketed cornice, round-arched doorway with fanlight and panelled door approached by steps with cast-iron railings. Gauged brick segmental arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. Projecting wooden eaves cornice. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain panelled staircase and some ground and 1st floor rooms with box cornices. HISTORICAL NOTE: Stanfield House named after Clarkson Stanfield RA, artist friend of Dickens, who lived here 1847-65. For the former Christian Science Church at the rear of Stanfield House see No.2A Prince Arthur Road (qv). (RCHME: London, Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 42).





Listing NGR: TQ2654685619

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in London West London Volume II, (1935)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26549 85619

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 05:57:41.