List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

List entry Number: 1378658

Location

CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, SHIRLOCK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2785NE SHIRLOCK ROAD 798-1/29/1435 (East side) 10/06/54 Church of All Hallows

II*

Church. 1889-1901 by James Brooks; chancel and chapel of the Blessed Sacrament c1913 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Ancaster stone with rusticated coursed rubble and freestone dressings. Slated roofs. French Gothic style. PLAN: 5-bay nave with aisles same height as nave; 3-bay chancel with chapels opening off. EXTERIOR: west end with round-arched double entrance; tympanum with central statue of the Good Shepherd and blind arcading. Above, a large wheel window; gable end with balustrade and 2-light traceried window . Central bay flanked by rectangular plan turrets with narrow lancets and string courses. Aisle walls and battered buttresses extend to each side of turrets. Aisles with heavy battered buttresses from foundations to roof and lancets windows in arched recesses. Chancel with paired lancets; polygonal stair turrets with pyramidal caps. INTERIOR: nave arcades with tall, cylindrical pillars without capitals but carrying the beginnings of a vault which was never completed. Vaulted chancel; its north aisle 2-storeys, the south carried up without a floor. Finely detailed pavement, marble high alter. Image of the Virgin and the font also by Scott. HISTORICAL NOTE: "This is certainly Brooks's best church and a most impressive example of the ambition of the later-nineteenth century church builders" Basil Clarke. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood (St Pancras part IV): London: -1952: 140; Clarke B: Parish Churches of London: -1966).





Listing NGR: TQ2786685684

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 - Date: 1951 - Journal Title: Survey of London - Page References: 140

National Grid Reference: TQ 27866 85684

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 05:20:44.