List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1378620

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, ALBANY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476573

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2882NE ALBANY STREET 798-1/87/29 (East side) 10/06/54 Christ Church

II*

Church. 1836. By Sir James Pennethorne. Alterations by RC Carpenter 1839-43 and alterations and decoration by William Butterfield, 1849-85. Grey stock brick with stucco and stone dressings. Neo-Grecian style. Rectangular plan. EXTERIOR: main central entrance on south facade; shallow portico with pilasters carrying entablature which continues around the building. Shallow pediment; roundels in frieze depicting a dove, "IHS", and a triangle. Architraved, trapezoidal doorway with heavy panelled doors and overlight. Portico flanked by round-arched windows. At the angles, small square pavilions. Above the main entrance, brick tower of 3 stages, middle stage with columns and broken entablature and top stage with thin steeple. West facade with 5 tall round-arched windows flanked by brick pilasters carrying entablature. In corner pavilions at angles architraved, trapezoidal doorways with console bracketed pediments and panelled doors. East facade single storey extension running the length of the church. North facade cement rendered with projecting rectangular sanctuary with C20 cross. INTERIOR: galleried. Marble floor by Butterfield. Glass by Clayton and Bell; a window depicting The Sermon on the Mount on the east side designed by DG Rossetti, 1864. Many fittings now at St Mary Magdalene, Munster Square (qv). (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949: 150).







Listing NGR: TQ2881782893

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21, (1949), 150

National Grid Reference: TQ 28817 82893

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 09:51:28.