List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1378398

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, CAMBERWELL CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470699

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3276 CAMBERWELL CHURCH STREET 636-1/11/126 (South side) 30/06/54 Church of St Giles

GV II*

Church. 1842-44. By Scott & Moffat, architects. Coursed grey Kentish regstone with white ashlar dressings; copper roof. STYLE: Middle Pointed. PLAN: cruciform plan with plate tracery and bold broached spire rising over crossing between nave, long chancel and gabled transepts. EXTERIOR: nave with clerestory and lower aisles of 5 bays with gabled entrance porches in 2nd bay from end on both sides. Chancel of 3 bays. Windows to north and south are pointed double lancets beneath a foil between stepped buttresses. Stepped angle buttresses to outer corners. Heavily detailed tower of 2 stages, the lower of blank arcading, the upper with paired, 2-light bell openings. Octagonal spire above. INTERIOR: has arch braced roof; lierne vault at crossing and very high tower arches. Alternately round and octagonal piers with foliated capitals to nave. In the chancel is retained the C14 sedilia and piscina from the former church. South transept as Lady Chapel, north as organ chamber. STAINED GLASS: in the large east window by Ward & Nixon to designs by Ruskin and Oldfield; in chancel remains by Lavers & Barraud. Transepts have glass by Comper to replace 2 Morris windows destroyed in War. West window by Ward & Nixon incorporates some C13 pieces. Undercroft of 5 barrel-vaulted brick aisles. Church built to replace medieval church which was destroyed by fire in 1841. (Howell P: Victorian Churches: London: 1989-: 81).

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Howell, P , Victorian Churches, (1989), 81

National Grid Reference: TQ 32965 76633

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:51:05.