List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THAMES TUNNEL (THAT PART WHICH LIES IN LONDON BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK)

List entry Number: 1378391

Location

THAMES TUNNEL (THAT PART WHICH LIES IN LONDON BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK), BRUNEL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: 

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470692

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3579 BRUNEL ROAD 636-1/6/876 Thames Tunnel (that part which lies 24/03/95 in London Borough of Southwark)

II*

Underwater tunnel for human traffic, now used as a underground railway tunnel. Begun 1825, completed 1843. By engineer Marc Isambard Brunel with assistance from Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Brick bedded in Roman cement and faced with clay tiles and stucco. Stucco finish in 'ashlar' on top of red clay tile lining of tunnel. Approx 366m (1200ft)long. 2 parallel vaults of horseshoe section, 4.27m (14ft) wide by 4.88m (16ft) high and joined at intervals by cross arches encased in a rectangular brick framework 11.58m (38ft) wide and 6.7m (22ft) high externally. At the end are access shafts 15.24m (50ft) across. Segmental arches separating the 2 vaults 'rest' on Greek Doric half-columns with square abaci. Many arches have been filled in. HISTORICAL NOTE: experimental attempts to construct a tunnel were made in 1805 by Robert Vazie and again in 1808 by Richard Trevithick. The present tunnel was constructed on a new line to a revised scheme by Marc Brunel (1769-1849) using a tunnelling shield designed by him and patented in 1818. The tunnel was opened on 26 May 1843. It remained a foot tunnel until 1865-1869 when it was converted for the East London Railway. Later used by electric underground trains (East London Line). The northern part of this item is situated in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.









Listing NGR: TQ3516479990

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 35184 79963

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:33:57.