List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1378152

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict AuthorityHeadley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290233

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEADLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE TQ 25SW 4/119 Church of St. Mary The Virgin GV II

Church. 1855 nave and chancel by A. Salvin with tower of 1859 by G. E. Street. Flint rubble, coursed on nave, with stone and rendered dressings, knapped flint on tower and chancel. Slate roofs with wood shingled broach spire over tower. Tower to west, nave with porch to south and chancel to east with vestry on north. Three stage tower with angle quoins and diagonal, offset buttresses to lower stage and roll moulding on angles of upper stages. Buttresses have short foliate-cap shafts on angles to upper part. One squat, 2-light louvred window in each face of top stage, with foliate ends to impost string course. Central quatrefoil and trefoil heads to openings with two-step reveals. Two quatrefoil panels to each face of upper stage. West face - clock face below with single fixed casement either side, two-light and cinque-foil roundel below under hood mould which continues as a string course to sides. West door below in dog-tooth moulding with foliate end stops. Impost string course continues to each side. Jamb shafts, with portrait heads and foliage roll mouldings, flank the double west doors. Lancet fenestration on remainder of church, both paired and single, in chamfered surrounds on buttressed nave. Paired lancets under hood moulds, sill string course on chancel. Crucifixes to gable apexes of nave and chancel. Buttressed chancel with 5-light Decorated style east window. Gabled porch to south with hood moulding and chamfered surround to replacement studded door. Interior:- Arched braced roof. Panelled walls. Glazed tower arch. Panelled chancel roof, the eastern two bays with cross ribs and bosses. Coved and billeted eaves to chancel with rosettes. Fittings:- C19. Piscina to south side of chancel. Simple panelled pulpit. Church font - octagonal bowl on wider plinth with turreted font cover under spherical finial.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) - p.312.

Listing NGR: TQ2050654857

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971 - Page References: 312

National Grid Reference: TQ 20506 54857

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 02:20:28.